How much is a Slightly Used King, Queen, Full, or Twin size Mattress Set Worth
First, have you ever wondered about the value of various house hold items like that baseball card collection you’ve had boxed and stored for years? Perhaps grandpa’s old watch that old heirloom piece of furniture that has been handed down the last couple generations? While it wouldn’t be a surprise to see many of these kink of items show up on PBS’s Antique Road show because they can actually have some real value, I am pretty sure there is one item you won’t find on there, your old mattress set. Surely it’s worth something though; I mean you probably paid hundreds maybe even a couple thousand dollars or more. It has to have some value right? Well unfortunately most items on the Antique Road have nothing more than sentimental value and the fact is most of these items simply aren’t worth very much. They valuable items are often quite special, so What makes them special and so valuable while other items are essentially worthless?
- Really great condition
So, how do we determine if a car, a piece of furniture, or a mattress set is worth something? Applly the value criteria. The fact is whether your selling or buying a used mattress and boxspring you’ll find they just don’t meet the value criteria and frankly aren’t worth much if anything.
How much to ask for an old used mattress?
- Used mattresses are not highly desirable, so the asking price matters. You do not want to scare off potential buyers with unrealistic figures. This number is not likely to be your bottom dollar or selling price. People always want to hagle and it is recommended to leave some wiggle room for negotiations. Careful to walk a fine line of not to cheap and not to expensive because you don’t want to scare off potential mattress buyers.
- Take into consideration the age of the mattress, useful life is normally around 8 years.
- Rarity is hardly an issue with old mattresses their like a face everyone has one.
- Desirability can be tricky however if you have a mattress that is harder to find may get more in the used market place. Items can include specialty mattresses like latex mattresses, the Sleep Number Bed, or an Authentic Tempur Pedic Memory Foam Mattress even an organic mattress. These items you will most certainly get a little more since it is so much harder to find gently used items like these.. You’ll definitely get more money for these items than the run of the mill used Sealy, Serta, or Simmons mattress set. After all most of brand name mattresses can be found on any given curb on trash day.
Old bed value is subjective to the seller and the buyer.
- Put your self in the buyer’s shoes for a moment. They don’t know the health of the mattress they are about to buy from you. They know about bedroom activities, dead skin, drool, blood, dust mites, and perspiration etc.. Savvy shoppers realize this. Also keep in mind that it is illegal for most retailers to sell old used beds unless they have been properly sanitized and properly labeled as such.
- We always ask people stop and think of the mattress in the same way that your are selling as old clothes like socks and underwear. When you think about it in these terms you can begin to understand people’s hesitancy to buy an old mattress and boxspring.
- If giving it away or donating try to get enough out of it to cover the sales tax on a new one or perhaps the down payment.
- Most people agree that mattress sets that are in pristine condition mattress won’t bring more than 10 to 20 percent of their original value. We suggest $50 -$200 as a reasonable price to sell or buy a used mattress. We are basing this on the average cost to purchase a mattress set which ordinarily sells new for $500.00 to $2000.00.