Mattress toppers serve a variety of functions.
You may wonder why you need a topper when you just purchased a new mattress, but, in addition to other purposes, toppers actually are a common addition to a new mattress buy. For those with existing mattresses, toppers are also regularly purchased, for several reasons.
5 Reasons to choose a mattress topper
- Mattress toppers will protect a newly-purchased mattress from stains, dust, allergens, etc., and will thus serve to prolong the life of your mattress.
- Often, people believe they have the perfect mattress firmness only to realize a few months into the purchase, that the mattress is too firm or too soft. Adding a mattress topper can be the perfect solution to these problems, because they do provide resolutions for these issues in particular softening.
- If you have purchased a lower-priced and thus lower quality mattress, a mattress topper can compensate for some of the mattress’ short comings. Purchasing one that adds a preferred degree of firmness can ensure better overall comfort and total body support .
- While not a long term solution, if you have an old mattress and simply must put off and wait to purchase a replacement, you can use a mattress topper to lengthen the life a bit. Understand, of course, that this is a temporary “fix,” but it will buy you some time!
- Lengthen mattress life significantly. Keep in mind that most softer mattresses including plush tops and pillow tops are nothing more than added softer padding that is attached and cannot be replaced, by adding a topper it will take the brunt of the surface wear and can be replaced for much less than a whole new mattress.
- When choosing a mattress topper, you want to consider the same criteria that you do when choosing a mattress. They come in all types of materials and levels of firmness, so we recommend you test rest them, and you cannot do this by buying one online or in a department store. Go to a local specialty mattress retailer that will have them displayed on beds for you to try.
Different choices of toppers to choose from:
- Memory foam is the most popular of mattress toppers, because it is most often used for mattresses that are of lower quality or old. This topper will provide additional support. Remember, some can hold body heat, look for models that offer sleep new cool features.
- Latex foam toppers are great for people with allergies, as they are resistant to mold and dust mites. They also retain less body heat and can be extremely durable.
- Featherbed toppers are popular, but, if you buy one, be certain to select one that is stitched to form baffles. Feathers tend to clump, and the baffle stitching helps to prevent this shifting of material. These toppers will have to be “fluffed” regularly to ensure uniform shape. Do NOT buy a feather topper if you have allergies or find one that guarantees allergy resistance. Ad additional consideration is that they must be dry cleaned.
- Microplush toppers are less expensive and, because they use synthetic fibers, people with allergies like them. As well, they can be steam cleaned at home. Because they come in variations of firmness, consumers can select from a range of options at different prices.
- Wool toppers provide the best regulation of body heat in both the winter and summer, but they can be more expensive depending on the amount of wool used. Sleepers who want more softness will love these! They can be a bit heavy and can compact if not cared for properly; however, shaking and fluffing, vacuuming can help to revive them to a more original state.
There are as many variations among mattress toppers as there are mattresses. It will be important to fully test them prior to purchase, and a local showroom is the single place for this to happen!! Learn more by clicking on our past article: What are the Different Types and Kinds of Mattress Toppers Available? Enjoy!