Ever wonder why mattresses break down so fast?
- Using Polyester Fiber in the top quilting of a mattress is not long lasting
- The fiber used in mattress quilting is located in the surface of your mattress and just like Poly foams are a synthetic and created using petrochemicals. We spend up to nine hours a night with our bodies lying comfortably in that mattress surface.
- Aesthetics is an important consideration when marketing mattresses and fiber adds a good fluff to the surface area giving a mattress an impressive look and the appearance of a lot of value. The bad thing is that poly (fluff) portion of the mattress will not hold up making the mattress less valuable. Sleeping pillows, throw pillows, and other decorator pillows are great examples of such construction nearly 100 percent of the time such fiber is used as batting for filling.
- Many people believe that coil springs are the first thing to fail and break or break down however the first body impression is a result of top surface panel which begins flattening from use of fiber in the mattress.
- Fiber flattening happens in as little as a couple of weeks or even days of sleeping on the fiber quilted panel of a new mattress.
- A fact not often talked about in the mattress industry is that fibers are not used as a load bearing material in consumer products which the exception of traditionally styled mattresses.
- The primary element is air in fiber which is the biggest reason it does not hold up making it less resilient than other materials for mattress construction. You can do an experiment to prove this fact; Place a heavy book like a dictionary on a decorator pillow that has been filled with fiber for the next seven days for approximately 8 hours each day.
- Do you know why fiber batting utilizes so much air in its construction other than giving products like mattresses more loft (puffiness)? The fiber material by itself does not breathe very well. Ever wear a polyester suit?
- Fiber is often used in mattresses quilting to conceal the degradation of foam for example the discoloring and yellowing that takes place with time.
- A mattress feel can be spectacular in the a mattress showroom an in the beginning at home, however due to fiber compression and fiber flattening, the mattress feel can dramatically change into something you wished you hadn’t purchased.