How To Lower A Tall Mattress & Boxspring

Mattress shoppers often complain that today’s beds are way too tall, it is a problem all across the country. So what can you do to lower a mattress and boxspring that is sitting so far off the floor? Lower it of course. Today we are going to share a couple  tips on How To Lower A Tall Mattress & Boxspring enough that your feet won’t dangle or you don’t have to climb up a ladder to get into bed?

Couple straight forward solutions to lower your bed height

• Use a Low Profile Boxspring.
  • Change out your regular steel bed frame for a Low Profile Steel Bed Frame. (The least expensive solution)
  • Buy thinner mattress. (May not be the best solution especially when figuring in the cost of replacement)

How To Lower A Tall Mattress & Boxspring

Click photo to price and view all of our lower bed frames

If you are using an old time bed that will not accommodate today’s thicker mattress sets, a combination of the low profile steel bed frame, low profile boxspring and a thinner mattress may be your only solution. This combination could lower the mattress set 9 inches putting the bed at a more reasonable height off of the floor.

With today’s thicker beds your mattress set could be sitting 27,30, or even 34 inches or more off the floor you are probably wondering what you can do with such ridiculously tall beds.

Another quick and easy fix is a low profile boxspring, which is available in heights ranging from 4inches to 6 inches; where as traditional boxsprings usually measure 7 inches to 9 inches.

One more option is a steel bed frame, which can be purchased in a low profile versions that hook in or bolt up and almost always the cheapest and most simple way to lower your existing bed. The height of your bed with this type of bed frame drops both the mattress and boxspring about 3 to 4 inches depending on the steel bed frame manufacturer.

One last solution is to buy a thinner mattress. You can find thinner mattress models ranging in thickness between 7 to 12 inches. However be careful when purchasing thinner mattresses, although they are often cheaper, they are usually less padded, less comfortable, and less durable. This is a very bad combination for a mattress that will be used everyday.

Shop our Low Profile Bed Frames

Not sure what to do, how to do it, or will it work? Contact a mattress store that specializes in lowering mattresses and boxsprings.

I have a very tall bed. The mattress is 76″ wide and 13″deep. The box spring is 7″ deep. The bed stands 34″ off the floor with the frame. I do like the thick mattress. Is there a thinner boxspring that could support the bed, therefore making it lower?
Thanks for your help.

Comment by alma forbes — May 27, 2009 @ 3:31 pm

Yes you can lower your bed anywhere between 4 to 8 inches. You can achieve this by using a low profile frame and or low profile boxspring, please take a moment to read the blog above “It Sits Too High, How To Lower My Tall Mattress & Bedspring”. In the end your bed would either sit 26 inches tall or 30 inches tall depending on whether you chose to do one or the other or both. Please feel free to call us toll free at 636-296-8540 and we can go over the details of your bed offering some possible additional suggestions.

Comment by Doug — May 27, 2009 @ 6:56 pm

I am looking to buy a box spring for a twin bed that is 3″ tall. Can you do this and have it ready by Aug 27th??? to be delivered to a Ballwin address??? taffy

Comment by Taffy — August 19, 2009 @ 6:06 pm

I have a Sterns & Foster pillowtop mattress (24″ deep) and a normal box spring. I love my mattress but wish I could get a nicer looking bed frame. The metal frame just isn’t very nice. Other than switching to a low profile box spring, is there any kind of bed frame that I can get that won’t look silly w/ such a large mattress.

Comment by Anna — August 16, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

I believe by “nicer looking bed frame” you are actually referring to the headboard. Part of what makes these headboards look funny is that the mattress is sitting to tall and blocks out the aesthetics of the headboard. It actually hides it. Yes in lieu of a low profile boxspring you can use a low profile bed frame. It will mount to the normal holes of your old headboard or a new one while also dropping the carriage that holds the box spring down by as many as 3-4 inches. The bed frame is under the bed and is barely or rarely ever seen. Especially in the case of beds with bed skirts or dust ruffles. Hope this helps.

Comment by Doug Belleville — August 16, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Is it okay to put the box springs on the floor with the mattress on top

Comment by karen — February 3, 2013 @ 9:00 pm

Sure you can do that, however it really needs to be a dry floor that is not going to draw moisture like a basement floor. I would only add unless the mattress and boxspring sits tall it may not be very easy to get out of when you get out of bed.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — February 4, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

I bought a 3-in-1 convertible crib for my daughter a few years back. We’ve since ‘converted’ it to the full sized bed. It has wooden side rails and 4 wooden moveable slats to hold the boxspring and mattress. With the boxspring and mattress, the bed is so high it almost covers the headboard! It’s as tall as my 4 year old and thus massively unsafe. I looked at my son’s crib (another brand) and realized it’s made the same way. Can those low-profile bed frames work on these type of beds? Can I buy low profile boxsprings separately? We love the mattress.

Comment by Kristen — March 7, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

I know you can get a low-profile boxspring but where I have looked everywhere and am running out of ideas on where to get one. Are bed is pretty high but there is no way to lower to frame since its not a metal frame. so this would be the only option for fixing are bed.

Comment by Tegen — April 19, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

If you have wood side rails you can buy eight heavy duty l brackets ,notch or remove the bed board supports on the rails and screw the l brackets to the side rail about two to two and a half inches lower than the bottom of the rail install the new bed boards (cut to length) and through bolt them to the brackets, this will lower everything at least three inches. Your box spring will be about 1 3/4 inches lower than your side rails,if this looks bad use a bed skirt.

Comment by John — July 8, 2013 @ 11:53 am

I have a 4” thick box spring,I need a queen bed skirt? any sugestions?
Thanks

Comment by Wayne — October 4, 2013 @ 7:57 am

Our bed in question is a wooden four poster bed (rice bed). The inside the rail slat supports are already positioned low on the rail. Little help?

Comment by Joe Walker — February 7, 2014 @ 11:45 am

I have an existing headboard that also comes with built in drawers at the end of the bed. It’s all one piece and beautiful. We replaced our old mattress with a stearns and foster pillow top mattress with low profile box springs. Now of course the headboard is half of the way or covered up by the mattress. I’m sick about it and don’t know if there is a soluton other than going out and buying a platform bed that requires no box spring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Comment by Lynn — May 4, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

Sorry for the typos in my question. I meant that the headboard is covered up by the mattress. Also it looks silly sitting up so high …I have to use a step stool to get into bed LOL…

Comment by Lynn — May 4, 2014 @ 12:25 pm

where can
I get a 3 inch deep queen bed foundation?

Comment by Ann — June 18, 2014 @ 8:54 pm

Ann, I haven’t personally come across a 3 inch tall low profile boxspring or low profile foundation. All the manufacturers that I have dealt with made them between 4-5 inches tall. I an not saying someone doesn’t make one however this isn’t going to be mainstream product in my opinion. You could opt to make your own short platform that is 3″ tall in leu of a foundation if you or someone you know is handy. Good luck in your quest. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — June 24, 2014 @ 1:46 pm

I had to solve my issue regarding my mattress being so high.. and here’s what I did. I went to home depot and bought a thin piece of wood. They cut the board in half 38″ I have a king bed x 80″ so I laid the two 38″ pieces of board on the slats and put the mattress on top. This lowered the mattress over 5″ and that made a huge difference. I had low profile box springs. Hope this helps.

Comment by Lynn — June 24, 2014 @ 10:55 pm

Lynn, I have had other customers that have done this as well. Nice tip. I would only add that if there are no legs in the middle, be sure and add some that reach the ground to keep the middle from sagging and be compliant with the manufacturers requirements to meet warranty Also breathability might be and issue. Some random drilled holes, small cut slits, or rug pad could help increase air circulation. Thank you Lynn for your input.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — June 25, 2014 @ 10:23 am

I appreciate your wonderful advice. Thanks so much.

Comment by Lynn — June 25, 2014 @ 8:57 pm

Glad we could help Lynn.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — June 26, 2014 @ 5:24 pm

I have an old 4 poster bed that is very high. We need to lower it for safety. Can I put a bed fram inside and lower the mattresses? Of course taking the slats out.
Thanks

Comment by Rhonda — July 15, 2014 @ 2:49 pm

Rhonda, We have done this many many times over the years. It is likely your old bed has wood side rails. There should be a wooden lip the slats are resting on. Without measuring I can’t know for sure but they will need to be removed. ( They are usually screwed on ) This will leave an opening wide enough to allow a free standing bed frame (preferably very stable with feet) to be placed within the surrounding bed frame work. The bed needs to be stable on its on because it acts like an ex o skeleton standing around the self standing steel bed frame. We would recommend our Q33WB for queen, F23WB for Full, or the K43WB for king. Be sure that these frames sit at the proper height you need, they do not have adjustable heights. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 17, 2014 @ 7:51 am