Steel Bed Slats

Steel Bed Slats Beef Up Your Existing Bed

So you have this amazing mattress and a really sweet bed but it turns out you don’t have the correct support underneath your mattress set. You thought the boxspring and mattress would be fine until you realized the warranty for the set calls for center supports with feet. Steel bed slats are the best way to protect your bed and are sometimes called center supports or slat kits. You don’t want your mattress set to be vulnerable to failure. Unfortunately support with most complete beds that include headboard and footboard is sub-par or is offered as optional at best.  An important part of any steel bed slat kit is the feet and they fasten to the legs of the steel slats; these adjustable footings act as piers to your floor and assure warranty and strengthen the entire bed support system.

What Kind Of Steel Bed Slats Are Available?

Beds with a wood headboard and footboard and wood side rails are vulnerable to cracking and breaking can use a couple different types of steel bed slats with feet. These heavy duty bars run from one side of the bed to the other and securely screw into the wood lip of the wooden side rails. These metal slats are made from hardened steel and are designed to replace weaker wooden rails that warp, crack, and can break.

Steel Bed Slats

Click photo to see our best selling steel bed slats

The models you will want to look into that we offer include:

G Force 1 for queen and G Force 11 king are quality center supports on a budget

The GS-3 XS Center Support is our top seller – a universal support that fits full, queen, and king size beds

The BB 8 Q and BB 8 K are our heaviest steel bed slat system with feet and are strong enough to support heavier people and softside waterbeds and of course anyone that just wants the best support money can buy.

Complete Steel Bed Frames with Steel Bed Slats

The entire bed frame is made of metal including the side rails and slat system. The hook in beds with head boards, footboards and hook in slots offer various models of Complete Steel Bed Frames with Steel Bed Slats to take care of your support needs:

DRTF3 frames will support twins and full size
DRQ60 and 62CS will fit queen size beds
K80, K83, and DRK80 are perfect for those in need of a king frame

Bolt up Steel Bed Frames with Steel Bed Slats

This is another type of bed frame that is entirely made of steel. These bolt up type beds have holes in the legs of the headboard and footboard making connection possible with bolts, nuts, and washers. Bolt up Steel Bed Frames have steel side rails with Steel Bed Slats that span the width of the bed and again keep the mattress set from sagging. Here are just some of the frames that can handle the job:

BB 24 connects twin and full size beds with headboards and footboards
BB34 Joins queen size headboards and footboards
BB44 Attaches king headboards & footboards
46R and 24 RR Bolts up to twin & full size head boards only
34 RR, LB 34 (low profile version) fastens up queen head boards only
44 RR, LB 44 (low profile version) affixes king head boards.

Hi,

I would like to buy a steel frame (waterbed frame) but i dont have a box spring (I have had alot of problems with weak boxsprings/platforms). Can I add extra steel slats onto the waterbed frame and place the mattress onto the frame? Thanks

Comment by chantelle — October 10, 2012 @ 7:13 am

You would be better off building some kind of a platform or deck you could place on the waterbed frame, then add your mattress. You would need so many additional steel slats with feet it just wouldn’t be economical, not too mention they would not be spaced close enotugh to support a mattress without letting it sag. If user weight is causing the problem with foundations breaking down, check out the Extended Life Foundation from Comfort Solution (King Koil) It is a beast of a foundation and should be able to take most anything that can be thrown at it. I can tell you I have place a softside waterbed on these before with no problems.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — October 11, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Hi there,

I was wondering if you a distributor in Toronto Canada that would sell your Steel Bed Slats.

Comment by Tye Inthavong — January 5, 2013 @ 10:18 pm

I am sorry at this time we do not. You could check with my supplier http://www.Glideaway.com perhaps they could help.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — January 9, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

I am looking for 3 steel slats that HOOK into side rail (side rails hold headboard to footboard). It is a four poster bed. Side rails are made of metal. Can u help.

Comment by Renee peregrine — July 22, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

Renee, I am sorry we need a little more information. Do you have a king, queen, full, or twin?. It is very rare to have steel slats HOOK into steel side rails. They usually bolt on or clip on. If your bed has the metal side rails that have a foe finish on them that kind of resembles wood I believe I know what you are talking about. There is a slot on the inside of the steel side rails with some pretty flimsy slats that go into them. If this is what you have or would like to contact me and send photos to be sure I know exactly what you are dealing with. In this case I am not aware of replacement steel slats. You would need to replace the complete rail and slat system. I can’t tell you which model because I do not know what size bed you have. Hope this is helpful. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 23, 2013 @ 7:20 am

I have a WoodTone Bed rail made by Leggett & Platt ,PO Box 140 , Linwood NC 27299 phone 704-352-2111. The bed I have measures 56 wide by 77 inch long The bed slats are adjustable steel and lock into the metal side rails which looks like wood finish. I called the phone number but it does not reach them.

I need new slats. Can you help?

Comment by Ed Andrick — September 25, 2013 @ 10:44 am

We have lots of different steel slats that are adjustable. Please feel free to call us toll free 1 888 785 2337. We will most likely be able to help you with something that will work with your bed. We will probably need a photo of what the exact rail system you are using is so we can be sure that what we have will work with what you have. Hope this helps. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — September 26, 2013 @ 6:56 am

Hi. I purchased a very expensive twin over twin bunk bed from Pottery Barn Kids in February of 2013 and they came with wooden bed slats. We recently found bed bugs on the wooden slats when we unscrewed them off the bed. I searched online and asked our exterminator and found out that it’s very common for them to nest on wooden bed slats. We threw the infested ones away, but am having trouble finding steel ones as I do not want to buy wooden ones again after being traumatized by these bugs and have the same problem again. Please help!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Comment by Miurell — October 20, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

Message to Doug:
Just a note to say thank you. You spent time on the phone with me one day last week when your company was closed due to the weather and you were busy. I was needing a middle support for my guest room queen bed and you directed me to the 62CS. I ordered it a day or two later and it arrived yesterday. My 73 year old husband and I struggled moving the mattress and box springs off the bed and with some effort, we were able to put the unit together and get the bed remade. It is now ready for guests and I won’t fear the mattress slipping off the frame again. Thank you for your expertise and the time you spent on the phone with me.

Kathy Scott
Fort Myers, FL

PS…I found your company on-line among the countless other web sites and went with it because of the little picture accompanying the site (easy to re-find) and the well designed web site with information indicating a “family-owned” company. I was also glad to know that the item I purchased was made in the USA.

Comment by Kathy Scott — January 14, 2014 @ 10:48 am

I am happy to hear everything worked out for you and your husband.
Enjoy!
Doug Belleville

Comment by Douglas Belleville — January 17, 2014 @ 7:53 am

I recently purchased my son a trundle bed…full on top supported by wooden bed slats that are strapped together. The trundle is a twin underneath. These slats are junk to put it nicely. There are times when I sleep with him and need some slats that will support an adult weight of about 250 lbs. Is there any thing out there or will I need to fab something.

Comment by Glenn — February 13, 2014 @ 9:31 pm

I just recently moved 7 months ago I bought a new bed and mattress for my new home just last week my bed collapsed while I was in bed I lifted my mattress up and found that the floor was wet and the bottom of my memory foam mattress was soaking and all my wooden slats had mould on them and had split at first I thought I had a leak I cleaned the water on my laminated floor but it stayed dry my friend thinks the mattress acted like a sponger time and soaked up some condensation and every time I led on it released water on the slats and eventually rotted the rest of my bed is fine and my mattress is very comfortable if I buy more wooden slats I am afraid it will eventually happen again is there anyway I could fit metal slats to the bed I have now the top of my mattress was unaffected

Comment by andy — February 18, 2014 @ 1:56 pm

Hi I recently purchased a used king size bed frame (Not Cali King) but the seller failed to provide the slats. Its a metal frame and I would rather use metal, not wood. Is there any way I can purchase a slat kit in Missouri?

Comment by Casey — May 1, 2014 @ 11:57 am

Casey, I am not sure what you mean? King bed frames usually do not use slats except in the case where beds that have wood side rails, wood head, and footboards which will often include a T Frame that runs head to toe. In this case wood slats can be used. Each set are about 39″ wide and rest on the outside wood rail lip and the T Frame wooden lip. If you are speaking of the steel bed frame base that supports the boxspring it should have been included. It might be best to call me toll free at the number at the top of this page to clarify maybe even send me some pictures. Hope this helps Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — May 12, 2014 @ 8:02 pm

Hi
I have an early American queen size bed from 1980 with wooden head and foot boards with metal sides that look like wood. Sounds like what you wrote to Renee above. Is there a slat with feet that I can use to fit this type is bed? I really can’t replace the metal sides. Please email if you have any questions. I’d appreciate any help.
Thanks

Comment by Karla — June 2, 2014 @ 4:51 pm

Karla, The key words you said are “with metal sides that look like woods”. These typically have cheap crumby metal slats that sag and bow horribly. In addition most have no center support legs making them even weaker and more vulnerable to problems. My advice is to get rid of the metal foe wood sides and replace them with a solid steel replacement that has solid middle support with plenty of middle support slats and feet that reach the ground. Good luck in your adventure. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — June 3, 2014 @ 3:44 pm

Will these work for a platform bed?

Comment by Earl P — June 11, 2014 @ 11:33 pm

I have a king size platform style bed with the I comfort 2014 series all memory foam mattress. Like your first paragraph stated, our support underneath is horrible. The side rail support on one side is cracked and the slats going across the bed are warped. The bed is barely four months old. I have pictures if needed. We just need to know what is the best thing to do to have comfortable nights sleep back

Comment by Misty — July 13, 2014 @ 1:13 am

Misty, I think the first thing you need to do is to be sure that it is not the the mattress. Getting proper support under that foundation will help you determine if your discomfort is due to the foundation not being properly supported. Feel free to call us if you need help. Wishing you many comfortable nights of sleep. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 13, 2014 @ 4:55 pm

We have a king mattress (about 1 year old), and just purchased a new wood bed frame. If we use the box springs we get good support, but the bed is WAY too high. If we do not use the box springs, the support is terrible. There are a couple wood slats that are bending and should be replaced… however I would rather go with metal slats. 1) If we are not using box springs, would metal slats affect/damage the mattress? 2) Are three slats enough support?

Comment by Bret — August 21, 2014 @ 8:18 pm

Hi Brett, I realize we just discussed this by phone but I think you asked a great question that would be helpful to others thinking along the same lines. Yes a mattress can be placed on a slatted platform, however it takes a whole lot more slats to support a mattress and keep it from sagging in between. Ideal spacing would be 2-3 inches between each slats or a using a solid wood platform similar to that of the decking or floor of a hardside waterbed. Our steel slats are designed to use with a foundation, boxsprings, or a low profile version of either one. While they offer plenty of support for a boxspring they don’t offer nearly enough support for a mattress and would not only damage the mattress but you literally could not comfortably lay down on it without falling through. Hope this makes sense Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — August 22, 2014 @ 5:05 pm

Hi, I bought a used Lexington King size bed with a wood headboard, wood footboard, 2 wood side rails and one metal center rail that hooks into the center of the headboard and the center of the footboard. Do you think I am missing any parts? I had a mattress delivered and the 2 king (twin) box springs. One of the box springs slipped off the wood side rail
and so I am wanting to ask how can I remedy this to keep the box springs from slipping off…slats on each twin section? Thanks

Comment by Geraldine — November 2, 2014 @ 8:05 pm

Geraldine, Yes what you seem to of described is what we call a T-Frame which is an additional rail that hooks into the headboard and footboard and runs directly down the middle of your bed. Each boxspring should rest in the middle on the T-Frame and the lip of the wooden bed side rails. Rarely and I mean rarely are these ever used which out wooden bed slats. My suggestion? Use 5-7 wide wooden slats on each side. Be sure to screw them securely into the wooden lip side to help keep them in place. Make sure they fit tightly so they cannot move around. This should solve your problem. Feel free to call me at the toll free number at the top of the page for faster more detailed information and questions. Hope this fixes it. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — November 7, 2014 @ 7:01 am