How Long Does It Take To Get Use To A New Mattress?

Did you just spend a lot of money on new mattress with the hope that pain, aches, and discomfort will decrease? You are not the only one and many after spending hundreds and sometimes thousands on a new mattress only to find it somewhat uncomfortable or worst case scenario miserable. This leads us to possibly one of the most asked questions we get:

How Long Does It Take To Get Use To A New Mattress?

How Long Does It Take To Get Use To A New Mattress?

The fact is falling head over heels in love with your mattress on the first night is the exception rather than the rule. In reality most people will find their new mattress to be very comfortable sometime within the first couple nights, however really experiencing the real comfort, support, and relaxation a new mattress provides can be about a week or so.

What is an adjustment period?

The truth is that every mattress professional knows is that most beds are built with excellent support and comfort in mind. Additionally they know that the reality is it takes time to recognize the full benefits of a new mattress.  It is not uncommon for new mattress owners to need up to a month or more to adjust to their new sleep system. While the correct mattress should always be comfortable from night one, some people actually complain after a full night of sleeping in their new mattress that they tossed and turned, found themselves waking up throughout the night, even waking up sore.

Why am I Not liking my new mattress.

Sometimes the mattress buying consumer believes too quickly that they have selected the incorrect mattress and may be even thinking about returning it. STL Beds believes this is where consumers and sales associates really need to be careful.  Make no mistake about it giving up on a mattress too soon is bad for both mattress retailers and mattress buyers.

Mattress retailers incur unnecessary costs in addition to issues associated to used mattresses that only get passed down later to future mattress buyers in the way of overhead. Exchanging a mattress can be bad for customers because they must start over and begin the process of trying to find another mattress. We are not saying customers should sleep on mattresses they hate or causes them pain that did not exist before because some people actually do pick out the wrong mattress.
Giving up on mattresses “to soon” and returning it or exchanging it for another more often than not leads to giving up on future mattresses prematurely as well.  It turns into an unresolved exchange cycle that never seems to get broken . In the end the mattress buyers become frustrated and often give up on finding a mattress figuring they’ll never select the right one. Comfort guarantees and respectable dealers that work to remedy this bad situation is a must.

So what can I expect if I don’t like my mattress right away?

Personally I use to do a lot of long distance running and not once did I ever throw on a pair of shoes that I just bought and go run a race. The reason is that my feet needed time to get used to the new shoes or risk blisters or even discomfort. New car buyers always notice the differences in cars when they get one, some differences that it just simply takes time to get used too. It is no difference with a mattress starting with the excitement of getting one. Our minds are anxious and our expectations are high and the fact that is it is different and new, all playing a very big part in how we acclimate to our new bed. While some people take to their new mattress like ducks to water a good deal of the mattress buying public or like anyone that buys a new pair of shoes we need the time to get used to the new mattress that is different from what they are use to and a level of support that their old mattress probably didn’t even have anymore. The new support and feel is something that takes time to get use to as much as 4-8 weeks.  A reason stores who offer comfort guarantees often require a minimum of 30 nights of use before it can be swapped out to 90 days.

Photo by CanadianVeggie  (Ben Sleeping) http://www.flickr.com/photos/canadianveggie/183472178/

Thank you for this article! I just slept on a new mattress for the first time last night and was very upset when I woke up this morning to find the same back problems I had with my old mattress. Now I will be sure to give it a little more time.

Comment by Tabitha — October 9, 2012 @ 7:16 am

You are welcome. I hope it works for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — October 11, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

We have just bought a new pocket spring mattress which is a lot firmer than our old one. My husband found it comfortable straight away whilst I have been waking the past two mornings with numb legs, which I did not experience with the old bed. If you say I will get used to it in time I will accept that and persevere. However would buying a mattress topper made of microfiber or memory foam be a good idea in my case?

Comment by G — November 8, 2012 @ 2:01 am

There are many different kinds of toppers to choose frome they can be an excellent choice for a bed that is too firm. Here are some of the many types offered. Check out this link for more help and tips. What are the Different Types and Kinds of Mattress Toppers Available?

Comment by Douglas Belleville — November 9, 2012 @ 8:27 am

I just bought a fiber mattress, and last night was the first night, this morning i woke up with serious bad pain, and also last night i could not sleep well as i turned here and there.
i thought fiber mattress is good for back pain, how come i am having one right now? :(

Comment by cole — November 15, 2012 @ 8:27 pm

It kinda made me feel better to find this website as i have slept two nites on my new firm/pillow top beauty rest matress. I paid a thousand dollars for, on sale and i feel like i totally wasted my money,to be honest i previously had a no support cheep matress for 10 plus year but i hate it. I immediately called maceys this morning and they convinced me to keep using it, give it another 7 days. I will do so, i do have a guarantee so i can switch it for a softer one but i am bummed out. My sleep is extremely important to me. I don’t know if i can make it even two more days. I feel sore,my left hip was bothering me last night, like i layed on it for too long. Lets hope it gets better cuz it really is a nice matress and i need to get some sleep.

Comment by rachel — February 11, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

I hope your new mattress works out for you. As long as you tried several mattresses and really took the time to find the right comfort for you, I have little doubt you will get used to your new bed. I would definitely encourage you to stick it out 30 days and if you don’t it sounds like the company has an exchange policy to get it right. Be sure to take your time because this will likely be the last chance to make a mattress change. Good luck Rachel.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — February 16, 2013 @ 11:00 am

Hi there! This article was definitely helpful to me but I am still unsure about my situation. I had a twin plush (but more firm) bed for many years. After many weeks of shopping and researching I finally got a new mattress; a full, serta, pillowtop. I tried and compared many mattresses before I made my final decision. I’ve had my new bed for almost a month now and am not 100% happy. Ever since I’ve gotten my new bed I’ve been experiencing lower back soreness/stiffness. Though this new mattress is way more comfortable and I fall asleep much quicker and deeper, I don’t know how much longer I can handle waking up in pain. Any suggestions?!

Comment by Ryan — March 1, 2013 @ 6:01 pm

I have purhcased a sealy bed. 5 nights in and I am walking up with mid back shoulder blade pain. Which gets worse as the day goes on.
Ive never had this kind of back problem before.

My hips and lower back feel great.

How long should I put up with this? How can I tell if its just me getting use to the new support or if my mattress is too hard/soft.
Previously I was using a plain foam mattress with no springs that was very comfortable but that started to sag.

Many thanks for any tips and hints

Comment by Abbey — March 2, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

Abbey, 5 nights is not very long quite frankly. Personally I have read no hard scientific evidence that says it takes 30, 60, or even 90 days to get used to a new bed. You have to do what is best for you and your body and health. However I have shared my experience and the experience of others for readers to get a feel for what is the norm. Will there be exceptions? Absolutely, each person is very different and what may work for one person may not necessarily work for another. Good luck to you in your quest for comfort and pain free sleep.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 3, 2013 @ 4:48 pm

Having dealt with back problems my entire life, countless chiropractor visits, different kinds of electronic stimulation etc. I’ve grown accustomed to having a stiff back in the morning. However for me a stiff back tells me that I’ve slept through the night with minimal tossing and turning which basically results in settled and cold muscles bones and joints. Having switched from a waterbed to a regular Serta mattress I expect the adjustment process to take a month or more because it is such a huge difference. rather than blame the mattress (I’ve just purchased a new one as well) I take an extra 10 minutes each morning to warm up and stretch out before beginning my day. I recommend this for everyone wether you’ve always had a sore back or this is a new experience. It promotes spinal health as well as good circulation. Just my two cents

Comment by Jerry — March 5, 2013 @ 11:14 am

Douglas..thank you so much for your reply.
However, I have to confess that the pain got unbearable as the days went by and I actually opened up the mattress (extreme I know) and I have taken out the memory foam comfort layer which seemed to be causing the problem.

However, I was disapointed at what I found inside.
Apart from the springs and the fibre layer above the springs there was only some very thin layers of foam inside. (a grey peice (5cm thick) and a yellow layer (8cm thick) and the memory foam (1cm).
I bought a top of the line Sealy Bed (Grand Luxe/ Plush) and had been told that the mattress had latex in it. Most of the padding is around the cover.
That has been very disapointing to find.

Comment by Abbey — March 5, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

Very well said Jerry.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 8, 2013 @ 8:11 am

i just spent 9 plus then another 4 plus on silicone topper my lower back is gone destroyed in severe accidents and all mattress i can walk in the morning we already used the swap out feature and you can tell crap in the stores or online study

i dont know how long i give it i quit because of days of pain after being on it my life will be lived in my recliner should have just bought a new fancy recliner

Comment by ouch — March 12, 2013 @ 8:09 am

that was meant to be cant walk in morning or most of day and lots of oxy to take the edge off

Comment by ouch — March 12, 2013 @ 8:10 am

Just slept (or, NOT slept) my first night on my new Sealy Yorkshire Eurotop mattress. From all the information I have read, the “break in” theory is splitn 50/50. However, my last mattress was wonderful, from the first night.

My question is, is this “break in” period in order to adjust the mattress to you, or is it YOU, to the mattress, so that returns are less likely?

Comment by Cheri — April 2, 2013 @ 2:49 pm

For whomever comes across this forum, my update for my second night of sleep went well! There might be something to that “break in ” period.

Comment by Cheri — April 3, 2013 @ 11:33 am

We bought a Beautyrest Black firm pillowtop. We’ve had it for a month now and I am experiencing back pain. I can’t sleep on my side, my back will hurt. I sleep on my back and it hurts. The most I get is 5 hrs of sleep. Last night I got two hours and couldn’t take it anymore. I slept in the spare bedroom on my old bed. My old bed is a plush so I’m wondering if the firm pillowtop is too firm. It feels nice but when I lay I have terrible mid-back pain. My husband is fine with it but likes firm beds. I wonder if I should have gotten another plush although this bed feels plush initially. I want to love the bed but it’s killing me. I bought it at Raymour and Flanagan’s clearance center so I can’t return it. Paid $1800. Really upsetting and don’t know what to do. I don’t think it’s an adjustment period but I could be wrong. I’ve never experienced this before.

Comment by Amy — April 14, 2013 @ 11:38 am

Good article. I would like to ask something. So I’m one of the many who exchanged my mattress within the first week because it was simply killing my wife’s back (She suffers from low back problems). So we got a firmer one, and she still can’t take it. I’m not sure what to do at this point. The return policy is that I have a one time full refund option (after a month and within 120 days) if I had not exchanged a mattress already. So since I did exchange it, I don’t know if they won’t let me return the mattress at all, and I will get stuck with a bed my wife hates. Do you have any advice on how to try to return the mattress?

Comment by Raul — April 15, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

I wrote some months back about the horrible pain I was experiencing with my Sealy Grand Lux. It never got better. What I have discovered for me …is that pocket springs don’t work for me. I need a continuous spring bed. that way the weight is evenly distributed and I don’t have the pocket springs pushing up into me.
For me this seems to work.

Comment by Lisa — April 18, 2013 @ 5:59 am

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a Tempurpedic Cloud Lux. I have had a bad back for years from auto accident (low back fused, entire neck fused) I am in constant, chronic pain….so when I go to the store to try out a mattress I am already in pain…so it is hard to tell if the mattress is going to work for me or not. Anyway after a week on the Tempurpedic Cloud the pain got so bad that just the thought of sleeping on it sent me packing. My setup is an adjustable bed, Ca. King Split. I live alone so just bought one side, but very expensive….$3000.00!!!!!. I had to reurn it. The stores policy is: Ninety day return policy, but you have to pay a $299.00 restocking fee and NO REFUNDS, just exchanges! So I ended up exchanging the Cloud for two Tempurpedic Weightless Select mattresses ($1499.00 ea.), which are much firmer and do not give you that sinking down in feeling. Last night was my first night on this new exchange. I slept good no problems, but I have some slight aches around my hip areas on both sides. I have just been praying that these mattresses work for me as I am a senior on a fixed income and cannot afford to keep exchanging mattresses!!! I think this is a racquet and never would have gotten involved with the particular company I am involved with if I had read the fine print to begin with! I was in terrible shape (desperate) when I first went shopping for mattresses, sleep deprived big time and in terrible pain, almost to the point of going to the hospital. I am sure if I had had a “better Half” he would have stopped me or at the very least read the fine print!

So let this be a warning to all!! Read what the return policy is carefully!! I need you all to send positive thoughts my way on these two mattresses that they work for me….or I will be on the $299.00 exchange merry-go-round for a while. (VERY DEPRESSING). I will post back in a couple of weeks to let you know how things are going.

Thanks for reading this and hope it helps someone else!

Comment by Lilly — April 26, 2013 @ 11:28 am

I had a mattress sagging due to upside-down box spring, which was set because queen bed was put on top of ful
bed size frame. 2 doctors told me to put plywood between mattress and box spring. I did that, now before is too hard. Added old 3/4” foam topper, better, but still feels too hard with some pain in low back and hips. Please advise.

Comment by Dan — August 17, 2013 @ 4:35 am

Dan, My advice is to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and instructions which are the lessons I hope my readers will take from this Q and A. If the feel you are looking for cannot be achieved in the way the mattress set was originally designed, turning the boxspring upside down on an incorrect size metal bed frame not only would damage the boxspring, but most definitely do some kind of permanent damage to the mattress. Dan, if you are looking simply to make the bed softer? Try using a thicker topper, or perhaps one with a lower ILD. Exercising your comfort guarantee is another option if you have one.

My advice to my readers is this, if mattress your firmness is incorrect contact a couple of different mattress retailer for alternative solutions, go on line and find other people who are having similar problems at places like What’s The Best Mattress and The Mattress Underground to see how others were able to resolve their support or comfort issue(s). The cost of a proper bed frame is between 50-100 dollars, to replace a damaged mattress and boxspring can be hundreds maybe thousands.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — August 18, 2013 @ 9:41 am

I just slept on my new Serta Mattress last night. I got 3 hrs sleep. After the first half hour my legs went numb. I went through this on my old mattress with one of those QVC 1″ bed toppers for a softer feel adding my left hip got so bad I couldn’t walk. I am 64 and a former fitness instructor so I am used to pain, but, numb legs were never a part of that. I removed the bed topper and did not have numb legs and my hip healed, but, my mattress is 8 yrs old and I heard that is the time to get a new one. I always wanted a soft king size so I got the Serta king size mattress after a lot of looking. I have been crying all morning and my legs are still numb (it is noon) and now according to the Bedmart manager I have to put the bed topper back on and wait for the mattress for 30 days to feel better, and of course no returns. Muscle and joint soreness I can live with till the mattress works for me, but, the numbness is unbearable. $1000 for pain. What a country.

Comment by JoAnn Sear — September 17, 2013 @ 2:03 pm

TO THE MODERATOR:
Unbelieveable that you took all the negative TEMPURPEDIC COMPLAINTS down!! Were you threatend by that Co.? What ever happened to free speech!?

I know I won’t get an answer…..but would love to know what is going on behind the scenes….we all know that the most important thing is always the almighty dollar, not the people who are in pain, too hot, and who have spent a fortune for a mattress they thought was the best of the best and would solve all of their sleeping problems, as TEMPURPEDIC leads you to believe.

I have joined a class action law suit against TEMPURPEDIC, so I don’t feel quite as helpless as I once did. I lost almost $4000.00 with them. My advice: STAY AWAY FROM TEMPURPEDIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK YOU CAN TAKE THIS DOWN NOW.

Lilly

Comment by Lilly — September 19, 2013 @ 10:26 am

This is an addendum to the comment I previously made and the second day of sleeping on the new Serta mattress. I did put a mattress pad over an Omniguard mattress protector I was talked into buying. It’s supposed to be allergy, bug, waterproof and mold proof so maybe the protector bothered me I just don’t know. I have had no problems, no numbness and no sore muscles so it only took me one day to get used to the mattress instead of a week to 30 days. I am so relieved because spending so much money, plus bedclothes, mattress protector ($75) and frame, well, the mattress just had to work.

Comment by JoAnn Sear — September 19, 2013 @ 10:56 am

I’m having the same problem as Abbey (comment no.9). I am about 1month in after buying a Sealy bed with a topper. It cost me about £1500 which I thought was a reasonable amount of money for a bed. After a few nights it felt like the bed was sinking in underneath me. I now can’t sleep on my side as it is too uncomfortable so I end up on my back most of the night. I have had increasing back pain around my ribs area. I called the sales company and told them it is getting unbearable and was told there is nothing they can do. Today, I finally gave up and went out and bought another bed. I will now try to persue a refund for the old bed. I could not stand another night in it as I have not slept properly since buying and my back is killing me.

Comment by Lee — September 29, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

Hi…I have given up on my Sealy. And now trying to sell it.
At the moment I am travelling in Europe and have slept in 25 beds so far. I seem to sleep well in old fashion continuous Bonnell spring beds.

Although I had my best sleep on a AirFlex bed made in Spain.
I am seriously looking at importing that back.

Comment by Abbey — September 30, 2013 @ 7:25 am

Interesting that most of these comments are with Sealy beds. I’m 3 days in with my new Sealy Eurotop. (Gel/Memory foam topper, pocket coil, encased edge, all the bells ‘n’ whistles.) I’m in extreme pain, I’ve never had back pain my entire life, I’m a personal trainer. But I wake up constantly on this bed and wake up groggy. The mattress is simply too firm, my full body weight (around 200lb) doesn’t even get past the topper to compress/be supported by the springs. I feel like I wasted my money on this thing. All I wanted is whatever bed type they use in a 5 star hotel chain, always sleep like a baby in those beds. Apparently this firm Sealy is what they use, I don’t remember feeling like I slept on a wooden board though. :/

Justin

Comment by Justin — November 12, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

You will find most of the beds in hotels have Bonnell springs. They are much more conforming to your body. Im about to inport a foam mattress I foubd in a Spanish hotel. It was amazing.

Comment by Abbey — November 13, 2013 @ 6:31 am

Thank you for this article. I now have hope. I have slept on my new mattress for a week and each morning I wake up my lower back is stiffer and stiffer. I do not have back problems … I exercise and do yoga everyday and waking up stiff like this is very disheartening. I even stretched before I went to bed the last couple of nights to make sure i wasn’t going to sleep with stiffness. My partner has not had any problems at all, but he tends to like softer mattresses. It is a memory foam mattress, and I haven’t had a lot of experience with memory foam. I am also waking up throughout the night, which is not normal for me. How long should I give it ? Thank you for your time, Michelle

Comment by Michelle — January 28, 2014 @ 10:47 am

Michelle, As you are learning first hand each person is different. (Your partner seems to be doing fine while you are struggling with stiffness). I really like the example of shoes. Construction workers usually have to break their boots in. New dress shoes…need I say more? Most runners don’t do marathons in a pair of shoes they just purchased. I think for some a mattress can be the same. The extra support they are receiving is perhaps something that they are not used too and only time will tell if they if they do get used to the new found support. Most make the adjustment fine others do not. Lets hope that you do. As a rule 30-90 days is normal. I like the latter number my self to be sure. Thank you for sharing your experience. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — January 29, 2014 @ 8:12 am

Hi there!!
I have purchased a new pair of pocket spring mattresses with a thought in mind that I would be having more comfortable and deep sleep nights, though I had absolutely no issues with my old coir+foam (harder) mattresses. Now I have been having comparatively lesser comfort at night and feel like missing a harder surface. Morning shows some impact on upper middle portion of my back. But over all its been dissatisfying for last 12 days.
Plz advise on this ??

Regards
Satty

Comment by Satty — February 9, 2014 @ 6:42 am

While I hate to be bearer of bad news from my experience 12 Days just isn’t long enough for some people to make the adjustment to a new mattress. Hang in there Satty :-)

Comment by Douglas Belleville — February 9, 2014 @ 3:27 pm

After almost 2 years of searching we found a Serta memory foam with gel and all sorts of fancy parts. This was after a leanthy searching process, of my wife and I. Last night was the first sleep, and it started well, but I woke up a 1/2 donzen times feeling a little numb and stiff. I sat up for a bit, depressed that I got to go through this yet again, but decided like anything esle new, I need to get use to it. Dropped back down, but got up still very stiff. I guess we will give it 2 weeks, but I am not looking forward to jumping back in bed like I did last night.

Comment by Ryan — February 24, 2014 @ 6:43 am

Hello I puchased a new Stearn and Foster mattress and so far not too happy. My wife experienced pain the first night but no pain since and is getting acclamated to it. I actually was good the first night and now after a week with the mattress feeling back pains when i wake up. I thought after spending about $3000 on this mattress i would be better. it sounds like I have to have some patience. At what point do i request to return it? why would it cause me back pain? is it too firm and need softer mattress?
thanks