Do I Need A Bed Frame with Center Support?

Some mattresses and boxspring sets need center support  added to a bed frame in order to validate the warranty, while others do not. This blog will help you determine whether or not you should use center support on your mattress and box spring. So lets answer the question:

Do I Need A Bed Frame with Center Support?

Center Supports add necessary support for the boxspring and mattress. Queen center support can be added to an existing frame that does not have it. If you are buying a new queen frame and will be using the bed daily make sure that it includes a cross bar with at least one foot.

Do I Need A Bed Frame with Center Support?

Shop all our frames with middle support by Clicking this photo

King and California King  bed frames usually have center support that runs head to foot due to the wider frame. These frames with extra support and feet down the middle are a must. Most mattress manufacturers require the use of a center support for their queen, king, and California King size mattress sets or the warranties will be considered void. You can verify this by reading your warranty card, calling the manufacturer, or mattress retailer.

There are cross bars with extra support avialable for full size frames, but they are not required by mattress manufacturers. Often the reason twin and full size bed frames do not come with a center support bar is because they are not necessary. If you feel you need the extra support because of above average weight on the bed or an active child or teenager we would suggest a more heavy duty frame, a center support may not be enough.

Complete bed frames with center support

Everyone from local mattress and furnitures stores to online retailers offer complete twin, full, queen, king, and California King frames with center supports. If you are looking for long life out of your bed frame and mattress set our suggestion is to get the proper size frame with center support.

If have a bed frame can I just add the center support bar?

Do I Need A Bed Frame with Center Support?

Shop our BL1 Center Support Here

Yes most frames can have a middle brace or bar added to them for relativeling low cost. Our Bl1 from Glideaway is a steel cross support with 2 legs and 2 adjustable feet, which give the mattress set needed stability. This stability is given where boxsprings are most vulnerable in the middle. Extra center support is even more important if you have a king or queen split boxsprings. Having the proper middle support can prevent sagging, bowing. They can also prevent cracking in boxsprings, wooden headboards, and side rails.

Important NOTE:

Some mattress retailers offer a less expensive bed frames for free with a mattress set purchase; many times these do not have adequate center support. Be sure to upgrade the frame see to it that the store gives you one with center support. If they will not, offer to pay the difference and upgrade to one that does. Most of these center supports are very easy to assemble and usually cost $30.00 to $80.00.

Shop all of our Frames with Center Support and Middle Support Bars

Waterbed owners, center supports are also available for waterbeds for a little extra cost contact us with questions.

I just have a question-We have a queen mattress and low profile bed frame that we just purchased. We are going to have it elevated on 15″ wide cubes on each side, running the entire length of the bed. This will leave 30″ in the center, unsupported. Would we need some time of center support for that?

Comment by SanDee — February 28, 2011 @ 10:19 am

Having too much support can never be bad, however if you are going for a certain look and the cubes or “piers” are getting in the way of that look, then you could have a dilemma. Most boxsprings or foundations could probably handle such a gap running side to side not so sure it could handle it lengthwise though. Additionally there are other factors to consider like the construction of the foundation which in your case I know nothing about. Also consider the combined weight of the individuals that will be using the bed. My answer is proceed on the side of caution and add the additional support. Additionally doing so you should never have an issue if warranty ever comes into play.

Comment by Doug Belleville — March 1, 2011 @ 7:40 am

I am purchasing a beautiful queen size sleigh bed off of Craig’s list today. Comes wig head board and foot board but no metal rails to connect the two beds. Where can I find the rails that I need to connect the two together? I am waiting to find out if the bed takes a screw type or hook like rail. Also. Are there different size rails for queen beds that may not be compatible? Thank you!
Lisa

Comment by Lisa — March 27, 2014 @ 3:42 pm

Lisa as soon as you know whether it bolts up or hooks up you can then get your rails but not until then because yes there are several different rails that could bed used. You may also want to take an extra step and get one with additional cross support bars and feet. This will be better for the mattress set for support and remove excess weight off of the headboard and foot board redirecting it to the floor. Use our Frame Finder to help you or give us a call Toll Free for help at 888 785 2337.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 28, 2014 @ 7:04 am

I am buying a double size (54″), high-quality mattress and box spring (Simmons)
Should the metal frame have a centre rail/support?

Comment by peter dunn — April 12, 2014 @ 7:33 pm

Peter, Most bedding builders Simmons included do not require extra middle support to be warranty compliant. I can tell you it won’t hurt a thing to add it. Think of it as insurance for high-quality mattress and box spring.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — April 16, 2014 @ 6:49 am

I recently purchased a new queen size mattress and need to purchase a center support to add to my existing frame in order to comply with the warranty. I notice some add-on center supports have one leg in the center, while others have two legs – one at each end. What is the reason for the difference? Which one is better or what does it depend on?

Comment by Robert — July 7, 2014 @ 6:39 pm

Robert, You are correct some supports can have one leg, others two, and yes even three. The fact is all of these choices is as American as it gets, it’s the freedom of choice. Manufacturers of middle add on supports want to offer something for everyone. Examples: If a person wants to spend less they typically will get the one leg support, if they are looking for more strength, better support, and assurance that their box-spring won’t fail from the lack of middle bracing they can opt to pay more choosing options that include more steel and support legs it is as simple as that. Appreciate you stopping by and asking this great question. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 8, 2014 @ 7:57 am

I have a sleigh bed did not come with any steel support so we put wood slats across sideways and 2 board from headboard to footboard now one side of the mattress feels lower than the other is that because we put the 2 board going accross from footboard to headboard? Would like to purchase the best steel cross center support with the 3 center legs like a kit where would I buy that in canada?

Comment by Francine — July 14, 2014 @ 1:36 pm

I have a queen size brass headboard with matching footboard. It is missing the connecting rails on the side and support through middle. What metal frame would work for me to purchase?

Comment by Beverlu Jones — July 16, 2014 @ 6:48 pm

Beverlu, Brass beds are nearly all bolt up style connections. Our BB 34 is likely to be a good fit or our 64 CS. These two frames accommodate different height beds. Be sure to read the description and details or give us a call at the toll free number above for more assistance. We would be happy to explain and can even have you send us some pics to be certain of proper fit. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 17, 2014 @ 7:44 am

Francine, I am sorry at this time we do not ship to Canada. I am confused about the description of your current slat support set up. Feel free to email me pics. Perhaps I can figure out what is causing the issue. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 17, 2014 @ 7:55 am

Hi Doug,

I just purchased a queen sized mattress (memory foam) with split box springs. My current bed frame does not have a center support. Will the lack of center support damage the mattress or box springs?

Comment by John — August 12, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

I just purchased a regular king mattress and to save a few bucks I purchased two twin frames at a second hand store for $35 total instead of paying $150 for the king frame. However when I got the frame home, it was only 65 inches long and the king mattress is 80 inches long so it will hand over 15 inches. This seems like too much overhang. Do I need to bite the bullet and get the king frame?

Comment by rebecca — August 24, 2014 @ 6:43 pm

Rebecca,
We’ve all been there, you try to save a little money and somehow it ends up costing more. Yes those would definitely be to short. Not only might you have to worry about the problem of teeter tottering off the end of the shorter frame but you are likely to bust the slats or frame work of the boxspring/ foundations. Just to give you an idea our standard duty king frame 44 RR is 70 inches long and our super heavy duty K43WB frame is 77 inches long. Hope this explains the issue and gives you an idea of what you are supposed to have under a king mattress set. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — August 25, 2014 @ 2:15 pm