11 Important Questions Answered About The Queen Size Split Boxspring

1. Is there such a thing as a split queen boxspring or a split queen foundation? Yes, mattress manufacturers make split boxsprings and split foundations.
  2. Where can you find a queen split boxspring? Virtually any mattress store has availability to or can order the two-piece boxspring.
  3. Split Box Spring vs Regular Box Spring

Click Photo to price Split Box Spring vs Regular Box Spring

Do mattress retailers stock split box springs? Most mattress retailers will need to order one of these for you. They can take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to special order.

4. What are the measurements of a split queen boxspring? Each half of the split queen boxspring or split foundation should measure 30 x 80 for a total width of 60 inches and a total length of 80 inches.
  5. Can a one-piece queen sized boxspring be cut in half? Yes, it’s your boxspring, so you can do what you want to it. The problem is that you could ruin the support unit and would most definitely void any warranty you might have from the mattress company, not only on the boxspring but the matching mattress.
  6. Why do mattress manufactures make split queen boxsprings and split foundations? Queen boxsprings are specially made in two pieces to fit through low clearance stairways, staircases, and to go around tight turns that a normal one-piece queen box spring could not fit through.
  7. How strong are split queen boxsprings compared to one-piece boxsprings? The truth is that the split queen boxspring will actually be a little stronger due to the extra wood and steel that is needed to build each piece. Other than the previously mentioned overall it is safe to say that there should be very little difference when comparing a one-piece boxspring vs. a two-piece boxspring.
  8. Do queen split boxsprings and foundations come in low profile? Yes they do. We recommend contacting the dealer for the specific height of the low profile split box spring because this measurement can vary from brand to brand and dealer to dealer.
  9. What is the cost of a split queen boxspring? This can vary between mattress retailers, but it is generally safe to say that $50.00 to $200.00 additional to the cost of a traditional 1-piece queen boxspring is reasonable. This can vary widely due to varied construction between brands.
  10. Can I use a bed skirt or dust ruffle on a split queen boxsprings? Absolutely nothing has changed in width and length dimensions therefore you can continue to use your existing bedding.
  11. Do I need special supporting steel bed frame for a split queen box foundation or boxspring? Yes, you need to make sure that not only both ends of the box spring are properly supported but the middle is supported as well. This will keep the two halves from falling to the floor.

Tell us any creative solutions you might have, that could substituted in place of a queen split boxspring.

Can two twin size foundations be used together for a queen size mattress?

Comment by MaryAnn Guuilbeault — February 8, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

I’m sorry they would be 16 inches too wide. Each piece of a twin measures 38 inches wide, you take that times 2 you end up with 76 inches and that would be the same width as a eastern king. Each half of a split queen boxspring / split foundation is going to measure 30 x 80 for a total combined width of 60 inches. Click link to learn how or if two twins equal a king boxspring.

Comment by Doug Belleville — February 8, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

Are there any adapters for a full size box spring into a queen size? this seems like a good solution

Comment by Jim Wendel — April 25, 2011 @ 6:42 pm

Jim, I am not going to tell you that there isn’t some kind of special adapter, but in my 24 plus years I have never heard of anything. Believe me if it was out there to sell some sales person would be in trying to peddle it to retailers like myself. The problem is the same as if were cutting off a board to build something and you made the mistake of cutting it 6 inches too narrow and 5 inches to short. A full measures 54 x 75 and a queen is 60 x 80

Comment by Doug Belleville — April 25, 2011 @ 7:58 pm

Are any split box springs organic?

Comment by Linda — August 18, 2011 @ 11:51 am

Sure there are lots of companies that make organic box springs. Actually they are called organic foundations. Savvyrest, OMI, Greensleep, Land and Sky, Natura, and many more.

Comment by Doug Belleville — August 20, 2011 @ 8:21 am

I am looking for a split queen bed that will allow my wife and I to sleep together. I am a very light sleeper, and my wife frequently moves around in her sleep. Our bedroom will not accommodate a split king bed. Will a split queen work for our situation?

Comment by Ray — January 6, 2013 @ 7:49 pm

This article primarily deals with a queen split boxspring which is the base or the support system for the mattress Which is usually one piece. I do not believe this will solve your issue. There are beds where the comfort layers are split which should help isolate disturbance from motion to your respective sides of the mattress. These beds have zippered covers that make it look like one solid mattress. Truthfully you can hardly feel the seam especially if you have one made with the same firmness on each side. Here is a link to our layered natural rubber mattresses that do this. http://www.stlbeds.com/mattresses/organic.html?limit=all&matt_size=31

Comment by Douglas Belleville — January 9, 2013 @ 7:57 pm

What can I do to keep my queen split mattress from separating?

Comment by Sue Leslie — June 1, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

I have a four poster queen sized bed frame and need to get split box springs to in order to move them into the bedroom. Will additional wood slats laid across the frame be sufficient support for the split box springs? If not, can you recommend a center support solution that will work with a tall four poster bed? Thanks.

Comment by Grace — July 6, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

Hi Grace, Hardwood slats are best. The more the better and I like 5″ wide boards for best weight distribution on the boxspring and at least 5 of them. You will also want at least 3 of them to have a leg to support the middle of the bed. Position 1 towards the head, 1 in the middle, and the last one under the slat at the foot end. Buy the time you do this cost plus time may make it worth purchasing a steel support system which I feel will be far stronger. For beds with wood side rails that are tall our GS3XS which is a universal fit or our BB8-18 Q or BB8-18 K depending if you have a queen or king size bed.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — July 9, 2013 @ 7:58 am

I didn’t get an answer for a solution to my split queen mattress separating?

Comment by Sue Leslie — July 9, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Thank you!

Comment by Grace — July 11, 2013 @ 10:54 am

Please, Where can i get a split queen box spring??.I can’t use my bed because the queen box spring couldn’t get into the basement.

Comment by Rich — March 8, 2014 @ 11:02 pm

We offer some items that may be helpful. At this time we are not shipping split queen box springs or foundations. However we have a couple solutions to your problem. The Smartbase, folding boxsprings, and KD’ed or knocked down foundations are a 3 solutions that we now offer instead of big bulky split queen box springs. These can ship out UPS or Fedex. Give us a call to discuss the various options. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 11, 2014 @ 8:21 am

I have ordered a new queen mattress with split box springs. Can you guide me to the correct metal frame? Do you ship? Thanks!

Comment by Rosemary Tills — September 24, 2014 @ 11:28 pm

Rosemary, Yes any shipping specials would be listed on the frame page. Queen split bed frames need to have cross support bars on each end and in the middle. The only thing you need to determine is what kind of application your headboard and footboard connections are if you have one? Hook in or bolt up. Here are a few stand alone or headboard bolt up versions. The Space Savers and 24 RR will not work for your application ignore them. For hook in models that headboard and footboard the 63CSWB Please call at the toll free number at the top of this page if you need more assistance. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — September 27, 2014 @ 8:21 am

I’m looking for a solution for a queen purchase I’d like to make. At the moment I will be staying in a home, and should have no problems navigating the beds. In about a month I will move to an apartment (currently apartment hunting). Because I don’t know where I will be moving to, and how big the hallways/stairs are I will order a split boxspring. My question is: should I also order a split mattress? I know they can be flexible, but are they flexible enough to navigate narrow hallways?

Thank you so much!

Comment by Ali — October 29, 2014 @ 8:23 am

Ali, A split boxspring is not a half bad idea for the little bit of additional cost although most apartments will not require the use of a split boxspring. I honestly cannot remember ever needing to deliver one to an apartment. Homes on the other hand, especially those with an upstairs or downstairs can require them occasionally.Good luck to you and Enjoy your new place. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — October 29, 2014 @ 8:32 am

Thank you Doug. I’ll go with the split boxspring. But what about the mattress itself? Would you recommend getting a split mattress or will it be flexible enough to round any corners?

Comment by Ali — October 29, 2014 @ 8:34 am