Top 10 problems with All Natural Latex Mattresses

This is a follow-up to our Top Ten Benefits of Latex post from a few weeks ago.

1. Latex Mattresses are expensive.
    If you look at it from an up front cost this is true however if you consider how much longer latex beds last compared to other mattress types especially mattress and boxsprings which typically only have 20-30 percent of the life, these quality mattresses will pay for themselves.
  2. Natural rubber Latex Mattresses do not hold up.
    This statement could not be more false. Latex is a byproduct of the rubber tree. The natural sap is converted into a solid form and is extremely resilient. It may very well be one of the most durable mattresses on the market.
  3. Latex beds are too firm.
    Actually just like any other mattress on the market latex beds are offered in various firmness levels. Latex is measured by its ILD. If the number is higher then the mattress will be firmer and if the ILD is lower the rubber mattress will be softer.
  4. Latex Mattresses Smell bad.
    First off every mattress has a smell whether it be a conventional spring mattresses, memory foam, waterbeds or yes even latex. This is similar to a new car or anything else that is brand new. This has really has been blown out of proportion yes some latex mattresses have a stronger odor than others like any mattress can. We recommend asking for a sample of the latex and take a sniff. Be sure to smell the latex mattress you are testing. Every mattress will need a short period of time to air out when first removed from its plastic bag.
  5. Latex Mattresses are not good for a bad back.
    We really do not get this statement at all. Like any good quality mattress it is designed to support your back properly. It is flexible enough to support your back yet resilient enough to stand the test of time. Before you take the lead in statement as gospel, know this we would suggest learning the background of the person who made the statement and determine their level of knowledge about mattresses. Many doctors and chiropractors know little more about mattresses than you know about back surgery.
  6. Latex mattresses are bad for the environment.
    Considering that the average coil spring mattress lasts only 6-8 years and a real all-natural latex mattress can last 20 years plus. We should see fewer latex mattresses in landfills. Dunlop latex is biodegradable.
  7. Latex mattresses are responsible for the depletion of our forest.
    The Pará rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis), or the rubber tree is able to produce a sap that is harvested like maple syrup. The tree produces up to 25 years or so and is replenish able unlike other mattresses claiming to be all natural and are derived from our depleting natural oil reserves and takes less energy to produce just an addition thought in the going green movement.
  8. Latex Rubber Beds are just another fly by night mattress fad.
    In 1931 the first latex rubber mattress was built. In 1931Richard Pieris and Co. Ltd., started building the Dunlop process of latex foam in 1952. It simply gave way to the invention of a cheaper to produce material called polyurethane foam. Today people have asked for a more durable alternative to cheaper foams and chemical laden mattresses being produced today.
  9. 100% Natural Latex mattresses sleep hot.
    All forms of latex mattresses have a pinhole design that allows air to move around freely creating a cooler sleep environment. Something with can be a much more significant cause of heat is using mattress pads and sheets that have material that do not breathe properly.
  10. Some people are allergic to latex so why buy a mattress made of it?
    First less than 1 % of the public is allergic to latex and this includes all classes of individuals and allergy types. There is considerable literature on reactions between those who have been diagnosed as latex sensitive. Most of this is related to the medical industry not the mattress industry.

These comments are consistent with the results of the research I have done. I discovered latex mattresses by accident during a mattress search. And, I had a preconceived prejudice against them. The first time my wife laid on one in a store to test it she was sold. Then we did our research talking to a lot of people in the business, a personal friend who had one (Sealy), and Internet data. We are convinced they are the best available foundation and have found the prices to be competitive with other quality mattress construction. Along the way we picked up a story about a major chain discontinuing the product line after a problem was noted about the material “drying out” and “crumbling”. So, I diligently chased the information. I found a furniture sales manager at a major chain (important, he has been in the buiness a long time) who said today that about 10 years ago they did have a problem with the product as I described above. He said they pulled it back (the manufacturer) reformulated the manufacturing process, and he has had no complaints/issues with their current product line.

Oh, and my friend? He has had his a while. He says it is heaven.

Comment by Ralph B. — July 16, 2008 @ 7:25 pm

The genuine latex beds Sealy, Sterns & Foster, Simmons, Serta, Ikea produce are synthentic blended latex.

Unfortunatly the government allows mattress manufactures claim their mattresses are 100% genuine latex, natural latex if it has less than 20% synthentics added.

These beds manufactured by the big “S” brands still have a lot of other synthetic foams (by various made up names)in the comfort levels. They quilt to polyester batting, which also shows body impressions. The crumbling and drying out is probably due to they synthetic blend in the mattress.

They still have to pour flame retardant chemicals into it to pass the FR1633 federal flame retardant law. Because it is a synthetic blend with other synthetics in the mattress. It is a proven fact synthetic materials are highly flammable because they are synthetic materials.

The odor you might smell is the bonding agent used in all natural latex, is ammonia or sulfer. I doubt anyone would smell it with the ticking and sheets on it. I have 3 latex beds in my home and I don’t smell anything & I have severe lung sensitivites. At least they are not petro-chemicals and formaldehyde which is in all the other beds.

Really great post, I enjoyed it…Joyce

Comment by Joyce Robertson — April 21, 2009 @ 3:09 pm

Joyce thanks for your great response and some very good points were made I might add. I would like to point out however that we ought to be very careful what we ask for, inviting the government regulate what is and is not organic. The last time they got involved in regulating mattresses, we ended up with the out of this world piece of legislation you mentioned in your post: (FR1633 federal flame retardant law). Without a doubt it advanced the mattress green movement moving it the front burner. The industry is still very young and of course by no means perfect. They are working diligently to develop some industry standards defining green, organic, all natural etc.
Here is a blog I wrote recently on the topic. Green Mattresses Standards Coming What Are They?

BASICS OF POLYURETHANE FOAM
AND THE USE OF COMBUSTION MODIFYING ADDITIVES

While some all natural latex rubber like yours very well may have little to no have odor, others can be quite strong like car tires, rubber bands, or balloons. All natural latex with such odors, according to all the information I have learned about them thus far seem to incorporate more fillers and a higher chemical composition. Hopefully someone with a better knowledge than myself might comment and set the record straight.

Ticking and bed sheets definetly will not stop odor, after all the are designed to breathe. Just look at all the complaints on memory foam mattresses.

Comment by Doug — April 21, 2009 @ 9:47 pm

Can anyone tell me how long Indonesian top usa hotel grade latex/cotton topped (and maybe synthetic material as well) mattresses will take to lose their strong odour and is it possible to speed up the process?
Meg

Comment by meg — June 22, 2010 @ 1:50 am

do they smell of johnnies ?

Comment by jowan — June 14, 2011 @ 6:20 am

That is an interesting way to ask the question, and since smell is a common question about latex mattresses I will assume you are serious and adding humor… LOL. No they do not smell like out houses, but they do have a natural rubber smell that is non chemical, non off gassing smell, and is not harmful or dangerous.

Comment by Doug Belleville — June 15, 2011 @ 7:33 am

I bought an all latex bed from The Natural Bed Store, spent well over $2,000 and two years later I am overdue in looking for a new mattress because it has sunk. I have back and joint issues and because of the sinkage, my back and joints feel terrible when I get up in the morning. Back to the drawing board. I can’t do temperpedic b/c that bed will be too hot in the summer.

Comment by BayLea — July 10, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Have you contacted The Natural Bed Store? Speak with one of their Organic Sleep Specialist. The should be able to help you determine what is going on with the bed warranty or otherwise. You can reach them at 1.800.235.3433

Comment by Doug Belleville — July 11, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

Although I have enjoyed sleeping on the latex bed, it has not lasted. We purchased the Natura queen with a wool topper. 6 years later it has no support left in it and bottoms out on the frame. The Warrantee is to replace the mattress up to 10 years. The problem is that they want $250 BUCKS to ship from Ontario to BC. Unacceptable. I have found a $600 coil spring bed that is as firm and comfortable (restonic) and in the meantime I am very happy without the latex.

Comment by Jules — September 11, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

My parents purchased a latex bed on their return to the US in 1962. 47 years later, they are still sleeping comfortably on the same bed, no warps, holes. slumps .. just 100% cotton covered latex.

I purchased a latex blend (basically an 8″ latex sheeting over some other less expensive foam – mine has a lightly filled topper. I like it. No rolling, no slumping, no turning, turning, turning. And if I were to purchase again, I would get an all latex with organic cotton cover, no pad.

Go green, and let the Rubber tree reign.

Comment by Sharon — November 21, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

HELP please – my 100% pure natural latex mattress (dunlop) smells.
I am really concerned about this.We have been having this mattress for more than 6weeks now. For the first month we had to leave it unzipped and uncovered from its outer cover in a separate bedroom with windows non-stop open for over a month. We even avoided going to the room much, as the smell quickly spread over the house.I have to say that the smell has decreased considerably (and we started sleeping on it in last 2 weeks), but the smell still lingers enough to bother us. Our 2.5 year old daughter sleeps in bed with us and even if she takes only an hour nap in the afternoon, I can smell the mattress on her pyjama and her body (through a good quality mattress protector and a bedsheet!)! I myself am pregnant and although I keep reading about the smell not gassing off and not being harmful in these mattresses, I am concerned more and more. I think I would rather return it (but our trial period has ended). we were told (and everywhere I am reading I can see) that mattress smell should go within 6 weeks. Does anyone have a similar experience?

Comment by kidushka — April 26, 2012 @ 9:12 am

I just upgrade my Tempurpedic to Rapsody but I still wake up with upper and lower back pain. I think the mattress is too soft and doesn’t give me enough support. I’m 5’6″, 103 lbs, and was told I should sleep on a softer mattress to reduce the pressure on my back. After doing a lot of reading, I’d like to try the latex mattress. There is no latex mattress store within 200 miles near my hometown and I don’t know which kind (natural, blended, Dunlop, Talalay, soft, medium or firm) of latex mattress I should order. Can any one give me some suggestion?

Comment by Jade — August 5, 2012 @ 11:22 pm

Does anyone know if there are any sofas that have natural latex as padding instead of the regular foam?

Comment by Diane — August 11, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

I’ve had my latex mattress for 5 years and it stills smells strongly of latex. It smells up the whole room. If anyone has a remedy for this, I’d be interested.

Maia

Comment by Maia — September 3, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

Interesting to see some others with smell problems. We bought a 100% Natural latex with Tencel/Wool Cover in 2005. After a few years it had severe body impressions but just a light chemical odor. We rotated it 180 degrees and after another year the body impressions came back. We then rotated it 90 degrees and no body impressions. But the chemical odor has been increasing and finally we can’t take it any more. The whole room smells like chemicals when the door is closed over night. I took off the cover and rolled back the top piece of foam. The odor was so strong my eyes burned. The mattress is manufactured by Latex International. The people we bought it from are contacting them to see what to do. If you zip back your cover and look all around the sides of the mattress you should see a tag with the manufacture’s name and phone number. Call them to report the problem. I’d be interested to know if the others reporting smell problems are from the same manufacturer. Probably these are sold under various brand names. Mine was advertised as The 8″ 100% Natural Nu-Lex Talalay Latex Mattress.

Comment by Michelle — September 18, 2012 @ 2:10 pm

I am the same poster as the one in comment 15. The manufacturer of our 100% natural latex mattress, Latex International claims all is normal and that it can’t chemically break down and cause an odor. The top and sides of our mattress are darker yellow than original so it is breaking down in some fashion. We decided to buy a new mattress. But after looking and reading review realized that with my bad back I need to figure out how to make the Latex work. So we went out and got a bed bug encasement cover that seems to block air. It says it is breathable but when I put the mattress in it last night. No more odor! There is a slight plastic smell. I washed the cover first and aired it out for a day but probably should have aired it more. The night before putting the bed bug encasement on we took a 12 lb bag of baking soda and spread it all over the base layer of latex foam and the top layer. We have the 6 inch mattress with 2 inch topper. We then put the cover back on the latex foam. This helped with the smell considerably but did not eliminate it which is why I put the bed bug encasement on top. This seems to have done the trick. I also removed the wool tencel cover as it plus the bed bug cover made the mattress to hard. In my zeal to eliminate the smell I washed the wool tencel cover and I think the wool tightened up. So anyone doing this who hasn’t washed their cover may be ok leaving it on. I also bought a thick cotton mattress pad which is currently being washed that I will put on top of the bed bug cover so we don’t sleep to close to the plastic. Crossing my fingers that this works and that the bed bug cover isn’t putting out toxic fumes also.

For anyone contemplating a natural latex mattress purchase pay attention to the latex chemical smell you smell in the store. It will only get worse over time at home. However if you are like me and need the latex for a bad back consider adding a bed bug cover to keep the smell trapped. I bought the Allergy Luxe Premium Bed Bug Barrier from Bed Bath and Beyond. Amazon.com has ones at half the price but I wanted something that was easy to return if it didn’t work or if it had too strong of a chemical odor to the plastic.

Comment by Michelle — September 21, 2012 @ 10:24 am

The smell is back after two nights. So we are going to get a new mattress. Have to decide on an all natural with a small amount of latex buried in there from Natura or a traditional. The smell is coming through the Allergy Luxe Premium Bug Barrier so disregard my above recommendation. I think the baking soda managed to absorb it for the first night but not it is overcome.

Comment by Michelle — September 22, 2012 @ 9:30 am

I am about to return my second mattress, after trying to find a replacement for a 30 yr-old. My first try, a S&F, sagged 5″ in the middle. A manufacturing defect they said, meaning a quality control problem with that company. The second try , a Simmons, didnt sag but has an even worse problem, it doesnt breathe. It feels like sleeping in a rubber raincoat, making you hot and sweaty at contact points, and cold and clammy above. It is making me miserable.

So I am investigating latex. But from the above comments (thank you all), it seems that a latex mattress is unpredictable-it might be hot or not, it may smell terrible forever or not, it may sag or not sag. It seems to make no difference what you paid for it, no way to know if you will be happy or miserable. Well, I’ll forget about latex. I dont want to be a guinea pig.

From the perspective of a consumer, it’s the mattress industry itself that really stinks. It has no standards, no way to predict what you get. The warranties turn out to be useless. Add to that the obnoxious pricing and product labeling techniques which makes it impossible to know what a particular mattress should cost by comparing prices. I really wish I had just kept my old mattress. It wasn’t great, but far better than the new ones so far.

Comment by kipnis — September 25, 2012 @ 10:11 am

I have been studying the mattress subject for a while (need a mattress asap) and just get more and more confused. Memory foam (feels oh so good) lead to all sorts of health problems, including cancer. Latex is always mixture of natural and artificial materials which a health hazard too. so what to do? sleep on bamboo futon like japanese and have spinal problem? Really desperate here, please help if know the answer!

Comment by Alina — October 5, 2012 @ 7:03 pm

I just bought a latex mattress and love it. Can not find out if a heated matress pad can be used with a latex mattress. Help!

Comment by vickie — October 10, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

I have heard of 3 things that can cause issues with latex rubber. Direct sunlight, heat, and over oxygenated air. I have not spoked with a technical person on this but can confirm that direct sunlight on the rubber is a no no. Have left raw pieces out to test the issue. Make sure the rubber is enclosed in some kind of cover or casing. Perhaps you might consider a heating blanket and use it on a low setting. If you insist on a heated mattress pad I definetly would keep the tempurature on a lower setting. Maybe even use it to warm the mattress up before bedtime rather than running it all night long.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — October 11, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

Hi
Is there anyway or anything that can reduce the heat as it is so hot all the time .

Comment by Neil — November 7, 2012 @ 11:55 am

I too am very interested in a latex mattress. Also I don’t have a store witin 300 miles so I will probably need to order online. My spouse is very very skeptical about such an expensive pruchase online. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is a really good reliable online (USA) company?? I am a side sleeper and don’t know which firmness to buy. Another confusing point is “Flipping”. Some say you don’t need to flip and others say always flip a mattress regardless of what it is made of. Need help here too.

Comment by Roger — January 25, 2013 @ 11:44 am

Roger, We would be more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have. Our toll free phone # is 1 888 785 2337. Thank you Doug Belleville

Comment by Douglas Belleville — January 25, 2013 @ 12:56 pm

I have had a latex mattress for 6 years best thing I ever bought no smell no dents just very very compfortable

Comment by mary — February 7, 2013 @ 7:39 am

We bought a solid latex mattress made by Dunlop 8 years ago for over $2000 and have finally given up on it as it has sagged so badly. There are hollows on both sides of about 100mm deep before we even lie on it. We are both light (under 65kgs) and have been waking with sore backs & necks. We packed it up with books and boogie boards in desparation but have now gone back to the good old innersprung for under $1000. Will be chasing our warranty on the old mattress (10 years). ***Don’t go for solid latex***

Comment by Janice — February 25, 2013 @ 12:16 am

Janice, perhaps you would share the brand name and model. Also it might be helpful if you were to explain what if anything you did to give the manufacturer/ retailer an opportunity to make it right under warranty. I as some of my readers may not understand what you mean by “chasing our warranty on the old mattress”. Thank you in advance

Comment by Douglas Belleville — February 26, 2013 @ 7:23 am

I just ordered a mattress that has natural latex in the middle, then a layer of wool, then a layer of natural cotton. It has innersprings. Will this cause any smell problems for me?

Comment by Jodi — February 26, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

Jody,Your question was a little too general to be able to answer and was just not specific enough. What brand mattress you have would be helpful. Blended latex or 100 percent natural latex? Wool, organic wool, certified organic wool? Cotton, organic cotton, certified organic cotton? While yes all things have a smell it is the issue of whether or not those smells are harmful or irritating. Added chemicals like herbicides and pesticides can cause abnormal smell problems and for some a possible reaction due to chemical sensitivity creating complications for some people.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 2, 2013 @ 8:02 am

I have both a latex mattress and a memory form mattress. I am sorry to say the latex has formed body impressions. This really upset me a lot. It is in four layers and 3 are extra firm 1 is firm. I have a Sensus 12″ and it is wonderful (It is all Sensus not in layers. The Sensus is a queen and the latex a king. My hubby has Parkinson’s so we put the Sensus on a low profile frame and box foundation so it is at least 12″ lower as he was always falling out of the king bed. I just a week ago purchased two xl twin layers of memory foam for the king and took off two layers on my side of the latex and replaced with the memory foam. I am amazed at how much better my back feels. I honestly did not expect this as the only thing that bothered me about the latex was the impressions. I just wish the entire king bed was Sensus memory foam. But it would be an extravagance since we do not need that. I am happy with my side being Sensus…..

Comment by Roberta — March 10, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

This is crazy! I was certain I wanted a latex mattress until I read these comments about off gassing and obnoxious smells. I am very sensitive to such things.

I was planning on buying from a company in Connecticut, but now I simply don’t know. I thought 100% pure Talalay Latex was void of such smells. I guess I was wrong. At this point, I would rather buy a used car.

Comment by Trey — March 12, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

Finding a store that sells 100% organic latex, even if it is just to call them and check on brands. Finding pure latex is the trick. The smell, that isn’t just a rubber smell, is likely coming from the binder used in making the latex. I have a 100% natural latex mattress that smells in the summer time, but natural doesn’t mean truly natural I’ve found out. I will trade it in for a 100% organic when I can, but not sure which manufacturer, not Natura though, didn’t find theirs comfortable. I have questions about the wool that can be put in the topper, as wool will compress over time. Most mattresses come in combinations of very firm, firm and medium and a soft can be added. I like the softer top as I get older. So you can always add a soft top if medium doesn’t work. I will certainly be questioning how long a mattress is holding up. I’ve seen some of the older latex mattresses, so I know they can hold up. I think with renewed interest there are a lot of manufacturers who are adding chemicals into the mix and touting them as natural and even organic, so it’s tricky for consumers to find a really good latex mattress, but the good ones are worth it. Finding a merchant who has done their research is your best bet.

Comment by Joanna Kennedy — March 14, 2013 @ 6:21 pm

Troy I think you need to do a little more research. There are good company’s that make good latex rubber, however in my opinion it all smells like rubber. Some less than others. Have the company send samples. Company’s like Savvyrest, OMI, Suite Sleep, Sleep Tek or Greensleep, in my opinion are some of the best. Vulcanizing rubber is a necessary process to making these mattresses and some are more pure than others. I listed some to the best. We chose Savvyrest in our store.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 16, 2013 @ 7:50 am

Trey, I have just bought an all latex mattress from a company in Branford that makes their own beds. It will be delivered in a few days and I am really looking forward to it. Let you know how I like it.

Comment by Mary — March 31, 2013 @ 12:09 pm

Hi Mary,

Thanks! Please let me know how you like it.

Comment by Trey — April 3, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

Hi Trey,

First night in the new bed – wow so comfortable. No aches in the morning. We bought the Ultra from Comfort Sleep Systems (they make their own mattresses and box springs). Seems too soft when you sit on it or first get in but it has surprising support. As to the smell. when it was delivered I stuck my nose right on the bed and there was a mild kinda-rubber smell. I let it air with no covering for a couple of hours. During the night I would periodically catch a whiff, but again not bad. The room does not smell at all this morning. I have one of those air permeable waterproof top mattress covers that are recommend.

Comment by Mary — April 5, 2013 @ 9:36 am

Thanks, Mary,

I appreciate the feedback. In fact, that is the very same mattress and company that I have been considering. I live in NYC so I did not want to trek up there to try it out. Your feedback means a lot; I really appreciate it!

I like a softer/plush bed so I think that would work for me. I hope you enjoy and I assume the faint smell will subside soon.

Comment by Trey — April 5, 2013 @ 10:00 am

I have had Talalay Laex for about 3 years. I am VERY disappointed that it has body impressions. I did not think that should happen to latex. I have another bed with Sensus Memory foam and it is older than the latex mattress and is also slept in every night by another member of the household and it does NOT have body impressions or any sign of them. I have to say we are happier with the Sensus memory foam

Comment by Roberta — April 5, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

Trey,
I’m sure it will, thanks. I spoke with Joan at Comfort Sleep Systems when I went into the store. She was very helpful and told me that if she was only going to sell one bed that would be the one. Good Luck.

Comment by Mary — April 5, 2013 @ 5:46 pm

I just ordered a queen size ‘all natural’ latex mattress from Costco. I can’t find any more information as to who makes the beds for them. In the early 70’s we bought a latex mattress from Montgomery Wards, we really liked it and used it til we needed to buy a new bed. I don’t recall seeing latex available in the 80’s, my question is where does Costco get these beds? They state 6 inches of firmer latex and 3 inches of softer, I’m looking forward to trying it out, just wondering if anybody has any more information.. thanks

Comment by Judy Niemeyer — May 8, 2013 @ 3:59 pm

I have purchased several latex mattresses from the Arizona Premium Mattress Company. I was never aware of any objectionable odor at all. I have had several back surgeries and have chronic severe back pain. I had my full size mattress for 9 years in NJ and slept very well. No impressions, no sagging. I moved to North Carolina and changed to a queen sized bed and bought an innerspring matterss that felt good in the store. What a mistake. Agony. I got online and ordered another latex from Arizona Premium. I suffered for the 4 weeks it took for it to come. When It did, I pulled the innerspring off and put the latex down on the boxspring, and laid down to the first relief from pain in months. Every night, when I lie down, I thank Arizona Premium. I don’t know where you dissatisfied folks are getting your beds, but I think you need to try Arizona Premium Mattress. Their prices are good too!

Comment by Catherine Marley — June 26, 2013 @ 11:04 am

Just a follow up to my previous post: I recently bought two Latex bunk bed mattresses for my grandkids and two twin latex mattresses for my guest room. I had a guest from Germany stay with me for a few days, and after the first two nights she asked me “What kind of mattress is on that bed? This is the first time my back does not hurt in the morning! It is soft, but hard at the same time! I want to get one at home in Germany!” And she was describing exactly what the latex does, it conforms softly to the body yet is extremely supportive. Another friend also slept on the latex mattress for the first time and went home to order one for herself. No dissatisfaction here!

Comment by Catherine Marley — June 26, 2013 @ 11:15 am

We have had out 100% organic latex mattress for 8 months. It is king size, dunlap. the top layer is “soft” and it has an organic cotton/wool cover. we also have a wool pillow top. We are unfortunately very unhappy. first it is extremely firm. secondly the smell will not go away. it is both a latex smell and a lanolin smell. we have aired the bed out numerous times. Also there are two body impressions with a hump in the middle. I think the latex matress is a good idea. just didn’t work for us. We spent a ton of money on this bed but will probably have to purchase a new one. probably go back to conventional. We purchased from a local supplier in the metro detroit area. Interestingly I see the Arizona plug #41. We actually tried to buy from them. We were in AZ a few years ago over Thanksgiving. They opened up the show room for us since were were in town a limited time. We got some quotes. Went home to think about it. two days later made our decision. Sent several emails and left several phone messages – none were ever returned. Needless to say we didn’t but their mattress.

Comment by Kathy — September 5, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Could you please tell me how to store a latex mattress that is not being used. I would like to put it in a heavy vinyl zipper
cover and lay it flat on a bed frame. Would this be okay or does it have to breathe even though it is not being used?

Comment by Lynne — October 5, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

I have had my new, organic, all natural, Dunlop latex mattress for 5 days. For all of those concerned about the smell, my bed smells wonderful! I am very sensitive to bad/chemical smells. Perhaps because my latex mattress is organic, it just smells natural? My body is still adapting to having this kind of support. One morning, I feel great, the next a bit stiff from spending too long in one position- either side or back. I will give it the full 30 days; as a massage therapist, I know that the body needs time to adapt, un-do old holding patterns, unwind, etc. and this is not always a painless process. My bed is the ‘naturally organic oyasumi natural latex’ and it feels great! I recommend doing your homework. I spent a lot of time reading the mattress underground and educating myself about mattresses. I knew nothing, other than I needed a new bed. Latex seemed to be the clear choice for me. After test driving some floor models, I knew I would not save myself $500-$1000 by purchasing my mattress on line. All latex mattresses are not the same and feeling is believing. I have never spent over $2000 for a mattress, but feel confident that I made a great, long lasting purchase. I hope this is helpful. Sleep well.

Comment by Pam — October 15, 2013 @ 1:31 pm

I slept on a latex mattress as a child back in the 50s-60s and kept it 30 years as a spare and it was incredibly comfortable. Now as a chemically sensitive adult in my early 60s I wanted a mattress sans flame retardant and decided to give latex a try again. I ordered online from SleepEZ due to their return policy and ability to choose the preferred IDLs. I was so excited to get it yesterday and once I laid on it I was in Heaven. However, there was a strong odor and I thought if I slept with the windows open that would somewhat compensate. I got up at midnight with my sinuses swollen and I was very hot. My mother-in-law had warned me that latex would sleep hot but I thought it would be a plus as I am freezing most of the time being hypothyroid.
So I moved to another bed and am now wondering if I will schlepp it to the basement to air out. I really want this to work but see I will definitely need a different mattress pad.
I was dissuaded from getting the all natural latex by the sales person as he said the ‘blended’ had a longer life span/durability. I do not know if the smell would be any different.
Does anyone have any experience with the odor from a Pure Bliss latex mattress or any other brand?

Comment by Jan — November 21, 2013 @ 6:29 am

From my research all of the Talalay latex is part synthetic and will have a chemical smell. I call Latex International which makes most of the talalay latex in the USA and was told all their talalay latex was only 30-40% latex from the rubber tree and the rest was synthetic latex. The best is to get Dunlop that is 100% natural latex from the rubber trees. I am fortune to have a small mattress manufacturing plant in the town I live in.. I checked out their dunlop latex and it has a very slight smell, not a chemical smell, if I put my face right into it. I laid on a 4″ soft dunlop topper that had no cover for over 2 hours and could not smell anything. I have a very strong sensitivity to smell of any kind. I think the problem most of the time is we do not know what we are buying because of the way manufacturers can label their product. Even though I could get a mattress topper much cheaper on line I am going to buy from my local guy because I will know what I am getting and that is worth the extra money.

Comment by Linda — December 9, 2013 @ 12:01 pm

Hello I have been Paralyzed right around my Bellybutton for many years and never really could find for me good Foam to help me Sleep and move better on my Bed But I have been for 2 months Looking around the internet and Seen This Talalay Latex Foam is new and has become the best Foam around so far.. Could you please help me to get 3 Talalay Latex Foams Samples So I can Feel the Differences are please?
I would be on my Knees begging if I only could for SOFT, Medium, Firm 3 Piece samples Please. The Dunlop latex Foam I Don’t know much about but for with my Crippled Condition if you feel I should also Feel what the Dunlop latex Foam also is about I would appreciate it if its not hard for you to spare.. I am Around 220 Pounds and around 6.5 Feet Tall.. Well I guess I use to be but through the years I have had bad times with my Feet Turning Inwards.. Going on 22 years for me Since my Accident.

If you Ever Wish to Call me My Number is 717-939-7774 My name is Mick and I Always Wait to hear over my Answering Machine who is calling me before I pick up. I’m not a Rich man and its been Tuff to Look for Something better to Ease my Troubles through the years seeing everything can Cost a lot for a good Bed, Seems My insurance only helps me for a good electric bed Frame but never Help me for a good mattress or Bed Top Foam because they always try to get for me an Air mattress but I soo! hate them.

Comment by Mick — January 26, 2014 @ 3:43 am

All latex beds aren’t created equal and it’s difficult to know what ILD mix is best for you. I did lots of research as well and finally settled on the Original Mattress Factory standard latex (approx 32-34 ILD) without the extra soft topping. The salesman reminded me that you can always make a bed softer, but you can’t make it harder. So I purchased a separate 4″ latex topper (24-26 ILD) and I haven’t looked back ( 2 years and counting). They now have different models so I can’t say how the new designs are, but at least you can try them out before you buy if you have a store near you. Shopping for latex was hard because there were very few models in stores, they use tricky sales tactics , and imported latex is usually much lower quality. While the part that is latex may be 100% natural, if the entire mattress is not be latex, you won’t get the same results. You can get comprehensive reviews at http://www.sleeplikethedead.com for latex, memory foam, and traditional mattresses,. For example, Foam over latex is generally rated lower because it’s essentially a foam mattress that is touching your body and foam breaks down much faster than latex. I was doing a comfort exchange so I had to go with OMF, but if not, I probably would have tried Habitat furnishings since they have a 365 day, money back trial (less a nominal return charge). I recommend you shop with a reputable dealer with a generous exchange / comfort policy so you can figure out what works best for you. My mattress, topper and new latex pillows don’t sleep hot and had a minimal cake batter smell that was completely gone after a week or two,

Comment by Dee — May 21, 2014 @ 2:37 am

I am an owner of an OMI OrganicPedic latex organic talalay (this is questionable) adjustable (makes no real difference) mattress ( supposedly one of the very best ) and I can tell you that it has been my experience that almost all of the problems ( 1 thru 5 and also 9) are certainly a fact…I unfortunately bought into all the hype…have not had even one decent nights sleep in six months of sleeping on this overly priced concave slab of concrete. Health issues, neck problems, back problems, heat reflective, bed smell (still). Also it compresses during sleep after about 5 hours so that remaining on it is extremely uncomfortable (aches begin), I am only 125lbs, so that I most often have to go to my sofa to try to get some more rest.
I am having a difficult time with getting this issue resolved, just a lot of lip service from the retailer. BUYER BEWARE!!! I may now have to take legal action on several points concerning this product.
ps…it felt great at the store when testing it for a while before purchase.

Comment by Rich West — June 21, 2014 @ 12:22 pm

I have been temporarily sleeping on a cheapy camp foam mattress which gets so overly warm that I sometimes roll off the mattress and sleep instead on the carpeted floor. The carpet is always cool and airy feeling. I have been wondering if it might work well to have a large rectangle of wall to wall style plush carpet as a topper for an otherwise warm mattress. Has anyone tried this out?

Comment by Linda mchaffie — June 29, 2014 @ 12:43 pm

I bought a 100% latex bed from Custom Comfort Mattress in California back in 2000, I LOVE that mattress. I do notice that I have to flip it or rotate it about every 6 months or so, and that ALL the mattresses I have ever owned have greatly benefitted from having a board between the mattress and the box springs. I now sleep on a titanium inner spring mattress (King) and I dream of my latex constantly. The support was perfect. I will say that there is a big difference to sleeping one person in the bed to two people. I think that there will always be a “hump” in the middle of the bed as it is natural for any product to migrate away from the weight that is on it. What I find unacceptable is a constant divot in the bed where you lie. I did not have that with the laytex, but have pretty much had it constantly with any mattress made of any other material. Even just an inch or two of memory foam is enough to create a considerable divot. As soon as we can afford it I will go back to a firm, 100% all natural latex. I never had a problem with the odor, perhaps it is the manufacturing technique? Also, be very careful where you buy, the manufacturer will produce different beds for different stores so it is practically impossible to compare them to each other. The better the store, the better the quality of mattress is a good rule of thumb. I still love Custom Comfort even though they are $$$$ and it has to ship from California.

Comment by Melinda M — July 2, 2014 @ 10:31 am

Latex international makes the best mattress I have slept on.

It’s unfortunate the North American bedding industry is under control of the drescher clan, mafia Chicago style, too convoluted to be sure of anything but treachery, deceit, anything but what’s right .

Comment by J cox — July 10, 2014 @ 8:35 pm

Time Changes all Things, increasing radiation render bedding materials with metal assemblies to be dangerous as a place to sleep. Even if the world class mafia try to keep this data out of news media sources they dominate, people are above their magnitudes of literacy, and will in time turn away from them, but the ruse of government who support the MOB will take longer to dispose of.

Comment by J cox — July 10, 2014 @ 8:40 pm

I just bought a new all natural latex mattress. Talalay. From Latex International. Purchased from Custom Comfort, who made it for us.

1st night had some smell, and the room smells a bit, but not as much as yesterday.

My comment is about the toppers, and/or mattress pads you put on it. Some people say they are hot, and others say there is or isn’t a smell. I don’t see the point in buying a 100% natural latex mattress, if you are going to put a plastic, synthetic cover or pad on it. THAT will make it sleep hot. If you are spending all that money, why not go the natural route, and make sure not only the ticking, but the mattress pad, and sheets are 100% cotton or wool? I paid extra for all cotton with wool quilted mattress covering, and a ALL cotton mattress pad I ordered online.
We shall see what transpires!

Comment by sher — August 23, 2014 @ 1:24 pm

I bought a natural latex mattress by Englander almost 10 years ago and I could not be more happy. This is a no turn, no flip mattress. I have not seen any change in its shape or support. I feel so rested sleeping on this mattress and never want to sleep on another brand. I strongly recommend spending the extra money for a high quality all natural latex mattress. For me it’s the Englander.

Comment by Hector — October 7, 2014 @ 6:29 pm

I bought a king size sleep number bed but was not happy with the mattress. The bed itself was great but I did not like what I was laying on. I have severe chronic spine pain. I have tried so many beds, it cost a fortune over the years. I purchased a 4″ Plush Talalay latex soft natural topper and removed the existing pad from my sleep number bed. This is the best mattress I have ever laid on in my life.

I did research on the various types of latex. I did not like the Dunlop process. I thought 100% Talalay natural latex would be the best for me even thought its the most expensive.

I never knew how great latex felt until I put it on my existing bed. I called sleep number and asked why not give the customer this option of latex. Told them I bought a 4″ topper for my new sleep number bed.

To be honest, I did not try latex because it was so expensive. Looking back, I could have saved allot of time and money if I only bought latex to begin with. I am not a healthy person and I do end up in the hospital. I purchased a twin 2″ Talalay topper just for when I am admitted. I refuse to lay on anything that is not latex. The gentle support I receive from my latex topper is outstanding.

In my opinion, the sleep number bed and 4″ topper are heaven made. My sleep number is 35 and my soft Talalay are perfect together. I can finally lay on my back.

Comment by Sandee — December 6, 2014 @ 5:44 am