You Can Still Find a Good Two-Sided Mattress

Do they still make two sided mattresses? The answer is yes; it was commonly thought that a two-sided mattress was a thing of the past. Thanks to manufacturers like King Koil, Symbol, Campbell Mattress Company and Englander you can once again discover the benefits attained from the hard to find two sided bed. Now that double sided mattresses are back on the market, the people who loved them once again have an alternative to the mass produced one-sided mattress.

Simmons Mattress Co. first introduced the one sided No-Flip Design in 2000. Simmons claimed that their new mattress was not only an improvement, but was also a more maintenance free mattress compared to its 2-sided predecessors. Not to be out done Spring Air introduced The NeverTurn™ Mattress. Many other mattress manufacturers followed their lead with single sided beds and virtually maintenance free ad campaigns such as Sealy and Serta.

You Can Still Find a Good Two-Sided Mattress

STL Beds is Where You Can Still Find a Good Two-Sided Mattress Click Photo and See Them All.

Nearly all remaining mattress companies followed suit when more government regulation of the industry was introduced. On July 1st, 2007 (CPSC) a safety law was passed requiring all mattress sets built & imported into the United States to comply within a strict performance standard involving fires. Before this time mattresses had a top and bottom side that made either surface useable for sleeping on. Most 2 sided mattress manufactures warranty guidelines required that the mattress not only be turned but also flipped completely over about 4 times a year. (Every three months) This turning and flipping of a mattress promoted more even wear in the sleeping surface of the bed.

Most double-sided mattresses were thin by today’s standards, and were heavy and limp. Each side of the coil spring unit was upholstered with natural materials such as cotton, coconut husks, and even horsehair as insulation padding. In the beginning buttons on both sides of the mattress were connected by a chain. This stabilization method was the primary way of keeping the upholstery from shifting and buckling. Later quilting machines and polyurethane foam eliminated the need for buttons and expensive natural fibers.

In the 1990’s up through 2007 the old mattresses with 2 sides were still a struggle for one person to flip and most people ignored or forgot to follow the warranty directions unknowingly voiding their warranties. Unfortunately this neglect causes the layers upon layers of foam and padding to compress. Today’s mattresses require just as much or if not more maintenance than ever before. It is the industries hope that sales people will recommend monthly flipping and rotation of the mattress when it is applicable, helping to extending mattress life.

An uncomfortable fact was thought to be that a one-sided mattress with its single sleeping surface would only last half as long and a double sided mattress. In the past many of these mattresses lived up to the concerns. Today mattress manufacturers seem to be replacing cheaper foams and polyester fiber with more durable materials such as latex and visco-elastic memory foam, which do not tend to flatten or break down as quick.

The jury is still out, but the thought is that the reintroduction of the 2 sided mattress and their two identically-finished sides, will offer a person twice as much life. The notion of having 2 sleeping surfaces also suggests that the Comfort Life® of a double side bed should be significantly increased as compared to mattresses that cannot be turned over. Two sleeping surfaces additionally provides users with a proverbial spare tire if you will, so if you were to spill something, the puppy makes a puddle, or bodily fluids were to create an irremovable stain, the other side could act as a back up sleeping surface.

Conspiracy thinkers contend that buyers only get half the mattress for the price while profits are on the increase. They will be happy to know that once again their love affair with the mattress that can be flipped over shall be rekindled. So now that all of us can once again find the good ole double sided mattress, all that is left to do is contact our local dealers and take one for a test rest. With that being said, this bedtime story ends just like every good story should on “an upside” now that two sided mattresses are back and we all once again have “a flip side” to our beds.

Is it true that two sided mattresses last longer than one sided?
What is the life expectancy of a two sided mattress?
Where can I buy a two sided mattres?

Comment by J.Occonner — February 25, 2008 @ 11:32 am

A two sided mattress can be purchased from us at http://www.stlbeds.com/mattresses/two-sided-mattresses.html

Our Bedroom furniture and Mattress store uses Campbell Mattress Company out of Cape Girardeau, Fraenkel who manufactures Englander, and USA mattress brands. Each of these manufactures has available a large selection of 2 sided beds.

How long does a two-sided mattress last? If it is a cheepy maybe one year. A good average life for a double sided mattress is still around 8 to 10 years. Some hand made mattresses 15 years plus but tend to be out of the average mattress budget.

The question of one sided mattress vs. two sided mattress is currently being debated in the market place. It seams however price and convenience are winning out allowing the single sided bed to dominate sales. I think from a value standpoint most double sided mattresses offer more value dollar for dollar and apple to apple, but the customers vote with their dollars.

It is my opinion that two sided mattresses often have some tremendous advantages over one sided as mentioned in the above blog. The best advice I can offer those people who like the 2 sided beds better, is to first go out and find and choose the two sided mattress that feels the best them, offers the best guarantee and then simply buy it. This will ultimately assure that you and I can continue to find a decent selection of them in your local mattress stores. If we do not that will disappear in your mainstream mattress shops.

Comment by Doug — February 25, 2008 @ 12:20 pm

We bought a Sealy Posterpedic 1 year ago. Today we are looking for a new mattress. It is completely unsleepable. And yes it is a one-sided mattress. We did not realize that when we bought it. We’ve been looking in all the shops and cannot find a double sided mattress. Even some of the salesmen don’t realize all their mattresses are one sided. I would never buy a one sided mattress again. Hopefully I can still find a double sided mattress that won’t break the bank.

Comment by Robert — March 3, 2008 @ 7:41 am

That is a shame. When sales associates are introduced to a new line of innerspring mattresses, it is the job of the sales rep. to properly teach us all there is to know about the newest and latest model. This in turn helps us teach you.

In July most mattresses went away from the 2-sided design in order to help manage reasonable price points for their customers. Making a 2-sided mattress fire retardant on both sides is more expensive.

Personally I am still a fan of the double side on a mattress but there are some real advantages to having only one side. Soon I will blog that very topic please come back and visit.

Whether you live in the St. Louis area or not be sure to contact me and I will try to get you in touch with a manufacturer that can meet your two sided bedding needs.

Comment by Doug — March 3, 2008 @ 1:19 pm

At Verlo Mattress Factory we still offer nearly all of our beds 2 sided. We also offer a non-prorated guarantee. We see alot of people who bought a 1 sided mattress a year or two ago that are having problems. 2 sided does last longer and if you check and really look at what you are buying you will 2 sided are just about the same price if not cheeper sometimes than a 1 sided, if you are looking apples to apples.

Comment by Dan — March 14, 2008 @ 11:00 am

Thanks STLBeds for keeping the double sided mattress flag flying!!!

Comment by shanne — April 24, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

Customer comment received by email:

I bought a new mattress 3.5 yrs ago. It has a 10 yr
warranty At this time the two areas I sleep on (by turning the
mattress around) are now imprinted with circular intention. Called the store where I bought same, they sent out a crew of two to measure the indention and said their \’boss\’ would call me tomorrow saying it would either be repaired or replaced…..depending on his decision. I paid $500 for this mattress made by Sealy and feel I should get more than 3.5 yrs service. I have read the article on two sided vs. one sided and agree……two sided works the best and never had back problems till lately. Please advise. Thanks, Patsy

Comment by Patsy — May 19, 2008 @ 7:29 am

The influx of single sided mattresses are some kind of exploit to increase profit margins at the expense of the consumers common sense. Single sided mattresses do not last as long as the their double sided counterparts. (consumer reports) The prices have increased and yet the manufactures are giving the consumer half the product we received previously. On principal, I will be purchasing an Englander or Ikea double sided product. Moreover, I’m going to advise my fellow consumers to do the same. Wake up Sealy, Simmons, and you other manufactures, the consumers want the two sided designs. And you WILL be overlooked if you do not meet this requirement.

Comment by David — July 12, 2008 @ 4:04 pm

You are so right about the no-flip matresses. They aren’t worth purchasing and a waste of money. I spend over $1,000 on a mattress with a 10 yr warranty 2 years ago and haven’t slept good in over a year. Thank God the double sided mattresses are back. I will be purchasing one soon. Bec in Arkansas

Comment by Bec — July 21, 2008 @ 3:28 pm

Comment # 7 David
I think you have made some great comments. However I do believe that your conspiracy theory suggesting that mattress industry’s change to a one-sided mattress was a profit based decision is incorrect. Simply look at the evidence.

You are 100 % correct; it does not make a bit of sense for mattress manufacturers to exploit their customers’ good common sense, after all without those customers who will buy mattresses? For that very reason I do not believe the industry is exploiting customers “good common sense”.

The main reason for one-sided mattress dominance in the market place:

The (CPSC) Consumer Product Safety Commission put into place new flame retardant standards on July 1 2007 for all mattresses, not the mattress industry.

The CPSC left it up to the mattress industry how to comply with the new standards.

Each independent mattress manufacturer established through their research what would be the most effecient way to comply with the new mandate. Most determined the answer was to go one-sided. The reason: two sided mattresses have a tougher time passing the new a flame standard, which requires 3 burn tests. Lets face it; it is more expensive to build a mattress that complies with this new standard, yet customers are demanding that mattress costs be affordable. The solution to meet both objectives, build a one-sided mattress.

This might be a great blog idea
Thanks David

Comment # 9
Bec, thanks for your comment.

Comment # 7 Patsy my advice is this, if you feel the one sided mattress is the reason for only getting 3.5 years out of your mattress then go out and support mattress manufacturers that are building the two sided mattresses. I really believe it is more complicated than this. It is most likely a deterioration of the padding. Cheap polyurethane foams and other materials that compress quickly and can also be used in constructing 2-sided mattresses so be careful. Just buying a two sided bed is not be enough.

Comment by Doug — July 22, 2008 @ 12:47 pm

Oh I cant agree more. We will not sell anything you cannot flip or doesnt have a removable cover. Keep doing what your doing!

You may want to read my newest blog post.

“Reintroducing the Two Sided Mattresses”.

We just had a local paper do a write up on us.

Comment by Shawn — November 11, 2008 @ 1:50 pm

I bought a one sided mattress- cost me over $1000.00! CANNOT sleep on it. and the dealer would not help me. once you make an indentation in it, there is nothing you can do.

Comment by vicky — November 21, 2008 @ 6:18 am

Your comment is a little vague I hope we can fill in some of the missing details.

Did you know you were buying a one sided mattress?

What did your sales people tell you about one-sided mattresses vs. 2-sided mattresses?

Does the store offer a comfort exchange or comfort guarantee?

How long have you been sleeping on the mattress? 30-90 days is usually necessary to determine if the mattress is right for you. This cannot be done in a week or two or a day or two.

Before you spent $1000.00 did you ask him or her what their comfort exchange policy was?

Because the mattress has an indentation in it is a ridiculous reason not to take a mattress back. However if it does meet the predetermined body impression measurement of your mattress manufacturers warranty then that is a whole different story. They will not cover it until it meets or exceeds the required number of inches of body indentation or impression.

Comment by Doug — November 21, 2008 @ 8:07 am

need prices

Comment by vicky — November 22, 2008 @ 8:11 pm

I LIVE IN HOSHAM, PENNA. AND CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND A STORE IN MY AREA

Comment by LOUIS R. HAHN — December 20, 2008 @ 10:15 am

We are a small Midwest family business with one location just south of St. Louis and the ability to ship our two sided mattresses from Campbell Mattress almost anywhere in the continental USA. The prices are great and the quality is even better. Hope you will give a chance to earn your business. Please feel free to Contact Us with any questions.

Comment by Doug — December 22, 2008 @ 7:00 pm

Need a price on a CA King, mattress only.
Two sided, firmest available.

Lucettawho@aol.com

Comment by Lucetta Jenison — January 4, 2009 @ 2:50 pm

Hey Doug! Did you see the latest article in Bedroom Magazine! The days on one sided mattresses are growing shorter. Keep up the good work!

Comment by Shawn Robisnon — February 10, 2009 @ 12:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I did see Bedroom Magazines’ Englander 2 Sided Mattress article highlight for the Las Vegas World Furniture Expo. I was fortunate enough to make the trip and view the 3 models they had shown; yep I said 3 models, which they had displayed among their Shades of Green extravaganza.
It’s 2 sided movement! Ok so were only chipping away at the one side mattress giants feet, but it’s missing a pinky toe:)

Comment by Doug — February 13, 2009 @ 7:42 pm

Please help. i had a Kijngsdown brand mattress since about 1995. Just last year it started to die.. It was the best mattress. Since then my world has been turned upside down. i dont believe in the 1 sided mattresses. i’ve spend hundreds and over a thousand on new beds i can sleep on and returns. I just cant find what i want. i want my old one to be remade. Obviously that wont happen. I live in queens new york, . Is there anywhere i cant find a 2 sided old fashioned mattress? all these new ones are one big pillow. and i’m sick of these wolflike salesmen liars. i know what i want and i cant settle for less. I did contact kingsdown and they said they dont make that model i have anymore of course and they make nothiing similar. wow i felt great after that. all their new beds are junk to me. someone please help. oh i did check a place in long island that mde 2 sides still but they were too firm . mine was in between. i know i sound picky. but i know what i want. PLease PLease someone help

Comment by Heidi — February 28, 2009 @ 2:33 pm

The Kingsdown mattress that was built in 1995 is definitely different than what is being built in 2009. I carry Campbell Mattress. We can ship into Queens New York, however I do not have a store location in your area you would be able to try our mattresses. We offer 3 two sided models. Here is a link. http://www.stlbeds.com/two-sided-mattresses/ I would suggest if you are as picky as you suggested you are that you locate a store in your area or slightly outside of your area where you can test rest the different 2 sided models and find the one as they say “is just right” for Heidi. I think for you purchasing a mattress over the Internet would be a bad idea.

Comment by Doug — February 28, 2009 @ 3:58 pm

Bought a one sided mattress about 6 months ago. I paid about $1400.00 It was nice for about 3 months (maybe)…But if you are 170 lbs or above it becomes very uncomfortable. I had to go to Campbell’s Mattress in Cape Girardeau to get a regular mattress but I had to purchase it through Patrick’s Furniture. Now my 110 lb. daughter is sleeping on my $1400.00 mattress. She loves it….but she’s only 110 lbs…and I will stick to a regular double sided mattress, thank you!

Comment by Liz — May 10, 2009 @ 2:28 am

I bought the “high-end” Chatham-Wells mattress (one-sided) 2 yrs ag. Paid alot of money because I wanted a quality mattress. It began forming an indentation 3 months after purchase. I hate it. My back hurts and there’s no recourse. Does anyone know of a Northern California based 2 -sided mattress outlet or manufacturer? It’s sad and frustrating because everyone is making the one-sided mattresses now. And Chatham-Wells once was a quality product.

Comment by Debrah E. Lyons — June 11, 2009 @ 1:59 pm

SAME HERE I BOUGHT TWIN MATRESS LAST YR, I HAVE BEEN HAVING BACK PROBLEMS EVER SINCE, WHAT THE #@#*. BRING BACK THE 2 ISDED MATRESSES, I CANT AFFOR TO *#@ A MATRESS EVERY 6 MNTHS.

Comment by LISA — June 23, 2009 @ 11:32 pm

two-sided, flippable mattresses with two sleep surfaces are making a comeback, I hope. they are a much better value. Verlo and The Original Mattress Factory make them–they are factory directs. Other smaller factory directs still make them too. And so do Englander and Gold Bond and other assorted mattress manufacturers out there. although the publicly owned Big Boys of the mattress world are sticking with their more profitable one-sided beds. i hope that changes.

Comment by sleepspert — June 27, 2009 @ 5:58 pm

“Make no mistake about it ultimately customers still have the final say with the dollars they spend. Customers choose whether or the not one-sided mattress or the two-sided mattress survives or fails in the market place. Nothing has changed other than the fact there are fewer two sided mattresses to choose from in stores. However if people are willing to pay the extra money for 2-sided mattresses and they are truly the better built, mattress stores will display more of them and increase their inventory of them. You will then see a strong resurgence of 2-sided mattresses on mattress showroom floors. If not you will see the status quo.
This might be a great blog idea
Thanks David”

This naive idea that the market is driven by consumer and not by incessant advertisement and cost cutting by large manufacturers in order to sell the products with the largest profit margin is infantile.

Comment by Dmitri — June 28, 2009 @ 10:38 am

I have just wasted 2 grand on two one-sided mattress labeled as “plush” and “pillowtop” . they are packed with coils, weigh a ton, will never sag–and you’ll never get any sleep on them. The salesman at Sleepy’s told me they don’t make flippable mattresses anymore. They won’t give you your money back and only do one exchange within 30 days, which doesn’t matter since you can only pick out another mattress that feels like a springboard and won’t give you sleep. They always feel great in the store, but at home, after about an hour you feel them begin to drain all the energy out of your body. I’m about this close to hitting up yard sales looking for an old-school, stained, 2 sider for 30 bucks. I’m at the end of my rope. The manufacturers have screwed this up royally and are laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment by Ted — July 3, 2009 @ 4:15 pm

Okay… listen. The concept of a two sided mattress may seem appealing, but only to the uneducated person. The truth lies in the same field as it does for any other argument in the universe… physics. A two sided mattress has 3 downfalls: 1. springs only transfer energy in one direction, vertically. the force does not spread out except for the couple on inches in the foam at the top and the bottom. Therefore, you’re essentially breaking down both sides of the mattress at the same time. 2. The foam in a mattress accounts for at least 60% of the cost of the mattress in a one sider, and doubling that drives the cost way up without anything to show for it. 3. By having a soft layer under the coils, you’re undermining the foundation/support layer of the mattress. This is equivalent to building a skyscraper on the beach. I say this not only as a mattress expert, but also an engineer. The problem with your mattresses is choosing the wrong one. Find a salesman who actually understands you and your sleep habits. There are soe of us out there, and we want to help. Just understand that new age foams have potential benefits, but also may pose problems. If you have any further questions, write me at jvita972@hotmail.com

Comment by Jonathan — September 6, 2009 @ 10:05 pm

Jonathan you bring up some great points and lets face it this industry has many problems here are just a couple. It is nice to see industry professionals adding in their take and experience.

2 of the biggest mattresses problems is the fact that most mattress brands require as much as 1 1/2 to 2 inches of body impression before they will replace it under warranty. Many end up with such impressions in the first year or two or less.
The other is the fact that most won’t take the mattress back if it has a simple scuff, mark, or smudge on it, which has nothing to do with the fact the bed is wearing excessively due to layer upon layer of low grade, low quality PU Foam. (A rule designed to protect industry professionals from handling mattresses with blood, urine, or perspiration. Just go to any forum, chat room, or review and you will see these two problems that are our industries Achilles Heel.

I agree that people choose the wrong mattress, which is both the fault of the salesman and the consumer for a whole host of reasons I think I’ll cover in a future blog.

I have always said that coil springs act like a cookie cutters and chew up the upholstery and the point that you bring up about both ends of the springs damaging both sides of the foam is a very good one.

In the day of 2 sided mattresses where the boxspring was sprung with steel and flexed, it helped to minimize wear like a shock absorber on car. This was not debated among the industry professionals. Today’s boxsprings are nothing more than platforms (foundations) or semi flexible decks for the mattress, which really is another way to say we cheapened it up, took out most of the steel and made it virtually non flexible and unable to absorb mattress energy.

I would be fine with a mattress that consists of 60% or even 100% foam as long as they stopped pawning off junk PU foam on the consumer. I will admit that 2 sided beds have and have had their own problems, but most of them came when they thickened them up and added lots of cheap PU Foam.

Comment by Doug — September 7, 2009 @ 11:22 am

I have never written a comment before on a website. However, I was on the internet, look for the website Chattam and Wells. I bought, what was supposed to be the new and latest one sided mattress a few years ago. It is the worst mattress i have ever had. After just a couple of months it started forming. You can imagine after a few years, how bad it is. If someone tells you you’ll never have to flip a mattress, Don’t listen. This mattress alone was over 2,500.00. What a dissapointment. One sided mattresses do not work !

Comment by Vinny DiCostanzo — September 12, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

The “innards” of today’s mattresses are all wrong. They have made the springs too stiff to prevent sagging down the road and then tried to offset this with layers of foam on top. Doesn’t work. You need the softer springs of yesteryear and cotton padding. Trust me. Somehow the manufactureres have convinced us that having to flip is a bad thing and that any one that sags needs to be replaced. Nonsense. I can’t get any sleep on these worthless one-siders –because of the innards–and it is killing me. Looks like competition ruined this one, just like the “loudness wars” have ruined CD record quality..Why the hell do you think these mattress “toppers” are so popular today? Because people are trying to soften the feel of their new mattresses. It’s fruitless.

Comment by Ted — September 17, 2009 @ 1:32 am

I even explained my above “theory” to a sales manager at a Sleepy’s and he said to me “you’re the first person that’s ever figured that out”. I knew I was right.

Comment by Ted — September 17, 2009 @ 1:40 am

I have read a lot about mattress life, and one-sided vs two-side, but never run into any discussion of how mattress life is effected by how firm the mattress is. Since it seems to be the soft padding in a mattress that breaks down first, causing depressions, one would think that a firm or super firm mattress would last much longer, just because the foam is stiffer, and there is less of it.

I am loking for a new mattress and currently inclined to buy a stiff double sided, if I can find one, with a latex topper, which I can replace in 5 or 10 years as required.

Comment by Steig Lindo — February 20, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

In response to Stig Lindo, you are correlating mattress firmness with durability. They are 2 different things One is density and the other is ILD or IFD.

Firmness or softness is measured by ILD or IFD and is just the measurement of softness or hardness of a foam.

Density on the other hand is the weight of the foam per cubic foot. Mattresses usually used lower Density foams well under 2 Lb densities. Chairs and sofas use a minimum density of 2 LB or higher. Mattresses are built with weight distribution in mind where as chairs and sofas are built for weight that is concentrated in a smaller area.

You could buy a less expensive mattress and add a mattress topper which could easily replaced. Latex is best quality and memory foam would be my second choice.

Comment by Doug Belleville — February 20, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

Memory foam, as far as seperate mattress toppers are NIGHTMARES. Hot, compress very fast (and do not support for very long). And I am 5’7″/122 lbs. No longer can find the quality, thicker eggcrate (believe it is poly something) toppers except a foam company out of Michigan that is easily googled, and come shipped for around $70 Great! I got the most expensive one, and the thickest one.

That, however will not keep a worn out mattress (mine WAS an extra firm Simmons BeautyRest Jupiter model, from 13 years ago). They do not last forever. Doing my research, and will haggle to the last dollar. I know the markup is high, even though they have to make a living. I do hope to find one that has a lot of latex (try their very expensive pillows out). My main concern: LOTS of them feel comfortable when in the store, at first a home I am sure, but how long do they hold up decently? Also, as with my last bed, I will find what I like, then only buy a return guaranteed ‘scratch and dent’, mismatched set, etc.

Comment by LaNell — April 12, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

I have a Kingsdown brand mattress made in 2006. It was the last year they made the double sided mattress. It is the best mattress. I have been traveling all over the world and will continue to travel. The mattress is still wrapped in the original plastic and has not been used. I contacted kingsdown and they said they don’t make that model anymore.

Comment by Jay Journeau — April 19, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Corporate america will not stop until they have ruined EVERY last product. One sided mattresses you can’t sleep on, CD remasters–of even older music–you can’t listen to, potato chips,etc that taste like crap and give you diarrhea cause they switched to “trans fat free” oils. You can’t even get the cap off a Coke bottle cause they shortened it! I just ordered a new Tempurpedic “Cloud Supreme” mattress for 2600 bucks. It is my last hope. But even if it doesn’t work at least they will give me my money back after 90 days unlike the scamming spring bed manufacturers.

Comment by Ted — July 29, 2010 @ 10:08 am

We just gave away our 2nd “no-flip” mattress in 5 years. This one was a Sealy and it lasted only 1 year before (2) 3-inch identations
became our nightly “coffins” – very uncomfortable. And my husband and I are of average height and weight, AND I religiously turned those damned mattresses every month! Don’t listen to the mattress salesmen. Demand a 2-sided mattress!!!

Our first “no-flip” mattress lasted 2 years – that was a King Koil. It cost almost 1000 dollars for a queen size. We had a ten year warranty from Sleepy’s. They honored it (pro-rated) and sent out the “mattress inspector” (some 20+ guy who just rolled out of bed and looked as if he hadn’t shaved, changed his clothes or showered for a few days). He measured the indentations, took pictures, etc.. and we qualified for a credit on a new mattress.

When we went back to Sleepy’s and wanted a 2-sided mattress, they said there was no such a thing any longer (2009) and then tried to sell us a 2000 dollar mattress, and so we applied the credit to a 500 dollar Sealy (knowing that we would eventually have to find a 2 sided mattress).

In the past, I had a serta perfect sleeper 2 sided mattress for 12 years and never had a problem. I flipped the thing over every season.

I WILL FIND 2 SIDED MATTRESSES……AND WHEN I DO I WILL STOCKPILE THEM AND SELL THEM ON EBAY!

Comment by Katrina — August 31, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

Well my ship came in! All those years of torture and no sleep on those worthless one-sided spring mattresses has come to an end. After 6 weeks–you’ll need time to get used to it– I am now sleeping like a baby on my new Tempurpedic “Cloud Supreme”. No need to take them up on their 90 day money back guarantee you won’t need it. But make sure you get the Cloud Supreme–it is their latest, softest design. And the matching wood foundation must be used with it! Let’s put Sealy, Simmons and all the spring bed manufacturers out of business!

Comment by Ted — September 16, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

Ted ~ I hope your ship dosn’t suddenly sink after a year and a half. My wife and I have two Tempurpedics, a queen and a king. They were bought a year apart. I absoultly loved these beds when they were new. Most comfortable and best feel ever. Unfortunately that changed after a year and a half when the beds became too mushy/soft at my midsection (hips). Now they KILL my back, and I am currently sleeping on my kids old two-sided twin! A 90 day money-back is just bait because you will love a tempurpedic for the first 90 days, heck even the first year. Just look out after that! BTW, the first and only no-flip (Simmons Kaitlin) bed we ever bought turned to junk after two years also, leaving me very pissed off and under the impression that the mattress makers are really boffing us consumers. before ever reading this message board i came to the conclusion that no-flip beds are just a way to sell more beds (have to buy more often) that are cheaper to make. We’re all just gonna have to figure out how to make our own beds. Maybe a stack of rugs with a foam top that can be changed out yearly!! isn’t that what they do in poorer countries (minus the foam of course).

Comment by Brian — September 19, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

oh, and one more thing. the last best bed I ever had was a two-sided Serta. RIP all you good old beds.

Comment by Brian — September 19, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

Sorry, just one more thing… a correction; the no-flip Simmons started sagging after just one year, not two.

Comment by Brian — September 19, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

sales people do not tell you that you are getting a “no flip” bed. these are the worst beds ever and are almost twice as expense as the good old double sided ones we had to flip. i am in my 4th year of back problems due to our $2300 simmons world class extra firm no flip bed. we were told they don’t make the double sided until i googled it today and learned they are still out there.

the bed industry is wrought with liars and deflect attempts to classify these back breakers as design defects vs material defects.

whatever you decide, have the sales person put every promise and verbal claim in writing!!

Comment by sheri — September 24, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

Oh don’t worry Brian I am looking forward to the sagging. Its what I need . I don’t understand why everyone is whining that their one-sided springers have “sagged”. Huh? They are so stiff how could they? I want to sink in but can’t! And I don’t have any back ache/problems I just wanna be able to fall asleep and I couldnt on a one-sider. My Tempur is still very firm, but its the right kind of firm and I welcome the sagging thats gonna come! My favorite mattress was a Simmons “Maxipedic” Back Protector Elite from 1990. Even had a solid wood box and frame that tied the sides together not the cheap shit wire boxes and flimsy frames and wheels. I’m really tired of all this cost cutting. The manufacturers should be ashamed of themselves.

Comment by Ted — September 27, 2010 @ 10:30 am

New, FIRM, 2 sided mattress, $500 out the door. New 2.5″ memory foam topper from Sams Club for $150. Put the two together and problem solved for only $650! Best of all i’m betting that the flipable mattress combined with the (replaceable) topper will last for years to come.

Comment by Brian — November 10, 2010 @ 11:37 pm

One-sided mattresses are the worst junk to ever be foisted on the public. We have had two different brands with boxsprings in the past 3.5 years, both at around $1,100 each. We have the appropriate number of slats and rotated the mattresses, all to no avail. Both brands seriously sagged within a year of purchase, to the point where the one we have now is almost useless. We will definitely be purchasing a two-sided mattress with boxspring within the next month. Whoever came up with the one-sided mattress concept should be in jail. In fact, we still own a two-sided mattress that is on our guest room bed that is 25 years old and still more comfortable then the junk one-sided ones. All we had to do for the old mattress was add a foam topper. That certainly didn’t work with the one-sided mattress.

Comment by Tina North — February 21, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

^^Right you are Tina. Finally people are starting to get the picture. Only problem is they don’t make 2 siders anymore. Well, a few specialty manufacturers do, but they’re like 4 grand and/or are of similiar internal construction as the worthless one-siders. We’re all screwed. Seems the manufacturers cost-cutting put more money in their pockets than even they thought as we all buy crap mattress after crap mattress…

Comment by Bob — June 22, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

I believe the one sided beds suck. I bought our first one a few years ago, and haven’t been satisfied. Basically, the surface never gets a rest (with two people), and thus has a permanent valley to it. Granted, this is a $600 queen mattress, but we have not been satisfied.
I understand some of the arguments, but the bottom line is that the mattress companies are trying to save money. Sure, it sounded good not to flip the mattress, but it just isn’t as good.
Obviously, the mattress companies have huge markups. I mean, what is the main difference between a $300 bottom of the line queen mattress, and a $1000 set? A few more coils and “nicer” fabric? They still have virtually the same manufacturing, shipping, and storing costs. So if all the difference is just fabric, then obviously creating a one-sided bed saves them huge amounts!
I’m trying to find 2 sided wherever I can. Particularly for beds for my small boys, because we all know there will be “accidents”, and having that second side will be valuable.

Comment by Don — June 30, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

We bought a Stearns & Foster one sided mattress 3 years ago for 1250.00, with a 10 year warranty. Both sides of the bed have a valley from us sleeping there but the warranty says there has to be a 1 1/2 inch dent to activate the warranty. This is not possible because of the memory foam topper. The bed sags so much our back are hurting, but after we are out of bed for a short time, the bed looks flat—–thanks to memory foam. Stearns & Foster couldn’t care less. We’ll never deal with them again.

Comment by Judy — July 30, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

One sided mattress….worst thing ever invented. this was a very bad idea. I don’t care if it cost more for them to make a two sided mattress fire proof or not, its about comfort. 3 years and $2500 later this mattress we have, is just crap. I will never make this mistake again. I’m in pain every morning and so is my wife. We both value our sleep like everyone else. This one sided thing, is one sided. Profitable for them and painful for us. some things that are old school, should stay that way, like Two sided mattresses. As soon as we are able to we will be searching to purchase and old school two sided mattress.

Comment by Jose — August 21, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Dear God help me find a two sided mattress. I grew up on Sealy. I was perfectly comfortable on a Sealy for 13 yrs during my first marriage. Which she is still using. 5 years ago I purchased a Sturns and Foster one sided which was supposed to be the greatest o e sided mattress for 2000.00 14 months of misery. Unloaded it for 4 hundred I was told no one manufactured 2 sided any longer. I was then talked into buying a very high end Sealy one side and told they had made major improvements. What a joke and a waste of another $1200. They both feel great for about 30 mins. Then u start slowly leaning to the center. No matter how angry you may be when you go to sleep. Your going to wake up in someones face because it is impossible for anyone to have ” my side of the bed ” and then you have to crawl out in the morning. I have not had a great nights sleep in years and wake often. And it’s common sense that the mattress companies are saving money. When will they listen to the consumer. I’d pay a small mint for a real mattress.
Sleepless in North Carolina.

Comment by Ron Rutkowski — August 24, 2011 @ 7:53 pm

DON”T EVER buy a one-sided mattress. No matter how often you rotate the sides they get deep dips in them. We’ve traded ours in twice at Sleep Train via their satisfaction warranty and manufacturer warranty and the new ones do the same thing in short order. We’re just going to chalk it up as “live & learn,” and buy a dual-sided mattress sinc we’ve NEVER had a problem with them for over 50 years. BTW, Sleep train sells only single-sided mattresses so you have no choice if you shop there.

Comment by Jim Bailey — November 3, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Type “double-sided mattresses” into your search engine and you’ll find out where to buy them.

Comment by Jim Bailey — November 3, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

I have been reading a lot about Off Gasing which is what is emitted from the materials the mattress is made of…..maybe from China..imagine that! Natural Latex is probably why we all loved our old mattresses for so long. The new ones are using synthetic latex. Does anyone know who makes a mattress with Natural Latex anymore?

Comment by Theresa — April 18, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

Would you please explain this quote? **”Nearly all remaining mattress companies followed suit when more government regulation of the industry was introduced. On July 1st, 2007 (CPSC) a safety law was passed requiring all mattress sets built & imported into the United States to comply within a strict performance standard involving fires.” **
I would think that fire safety regulations are a good thing. How did that force mattress manufacturers to change to non-flippable mattresses? I thought it was so that people would have to buy new ones faster? That’s what happened, right? As a seller of mattresses, you are for safety regulations for your customers, right? SOME manufacturers might put profit over safety.

Comment by TR — July 30, 2012 @ 2:44 pm

No TR I’m for getting a decent night sleep, which I can’t get with the oversprung junk you are forced to sell us. And we were doin just fine up until about 14 yrs ago with the 2 siders safety-wise. I don’t think we need to ruin everyones sleep to save the 600 drunks who fall asleep with a cigarette in their hands.

Comment by Bob — August 5, 2012 @ 11:54 pm

Very, very disappointed. The one sided mattresses don’t even last half as long, not even 1/4. We bought a single sided at a local furniture store because they told us “they are all like that now”. What I didn’t know was that we certainly could have bought one, but they fibbed and told us double sided mattresses have not been manufactured since 1997. That is what they said.

All you need is a good dust mite bag and flip the mattress every month, and it will last a very long time, if it was good quality to begin with.

Comment by Mike — August 26, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

We had to replace a one sided pillow top mattress after 3 years, and the standard one we now have is 3 years old and needs to be replaced immediately. Both ended up with deep indentations where we slept with a hump in the middle, and rotating only made it worse. We even resorted to turning these king size mattresses the short way to avoid the dips. After 3 years each one became unbearable. We recently got 3 perfect nights of sleep in a Hampton Inn. I found out their supplier is Serta, and Serta’s website has info on how to purchase beds sold to major hotel chains.. All are TWO SIDED and you can contact the hotel to get the specific model in their rooms and purchase from Serta’s hotel purchase selection on their website. I have so many frustrated friends who were disappointed within a couple of years with a one sided mattress I truly believe there was a conspiracy in the industry. My friends believe “all mattresses are now one sided”. Well, that is not true, and I am buying a two sided one ASAP from the hotel collection by Serta. .

Comment by Amelia — September 11, 2012 @ 4:34 pm

I am deparate to find a two sided mattress in Las Vegas , Called several places and have to laugh when i am told They are no longer made .Ant surgesstions

Comment by Donna — October 19, 2012 @ 8:39 pm

With all due respect, if you are not a particularly choosy person and can sleep comfortably on most beds, look at the idea of purchasing one on line. If you are more particular (Princess and the Pea) this may not be a good avenue of choice. There are very good sales associates available and trained to help you narrow down selection. I don’t know if you tried just the big retail stores but if that is the case be sure to check out mom pop companies especially in rural areas where 2 sided demands tends to be higher. Hope this helps.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — October 21, 2012 @ 10:14 am

Two years ago i purchased a Serta set, on sale I paid $1200.00 for it. After six months it stareted to sink in th middle. I sleep alone and one side is find. I have turned it around and around, I still don’t get a good night sleep. I hope I can keep this another year and i will be purchasing a two sided mattress. Thank for the information.

Comment by Renee William — October 28, 2012 @ 12:23 am

We have been complaining and suffering for 3 years since we decided to really invest in a “good” mattress, and wasted 3 grand (dealer listed as $10,000 before sale price!). It is of course worse on “his” side as he weighs more. We bought our previous 2 sided Cal King mismatched for $500 in 1988. So got over 20 yrs use with regular flipping and turning, was super comfortable, especially when Ritz Carlton gave us the idea to add a featherbed. We put in in the spare bedroom and want to use it again in preference to buying one of the worthless mattresses we see out there currently. The problem is, the newer onesided 18 inch deep fancy one is so heavy and impossible for 2 people to move we would have to hire 4 men to safely move it downstairs! And then what….how do we offload this monstrosity and not throw away $3000 after just 3 yrs use? Enjoyed all the comments above…will look into Campbell and KingsKoil for sure. Another thing….women at menopause…the airiness of older 2 sided mattresses much more tolerable versus the heat retaining properties of the memory foam and thick foam, synthetic so called fire retardant materials will make hot flashes even more intense and miserable, feels like your back is on fire !

Comment by Dawn — November 11, 2012 @ 2:01 pm

my family used to manufacture and repair mattresses. in 1930s innerspring mattresses were replacing kapoc,cotton and hair mattresses. the flaw in every innerspring was that they put burlap or sisal pads over the steel unit and this deteriorated and to correct that someone came up with a wire mesh called a permalator innerspring units were usually 15 gauge metal. Cotton pads were placed on to of sisal pad or permalator a major supplier developed a 12 gauge coil and makete their product as orthopedic with a 20 year warrantee successlfully.aanother successful product had a 14 1/2 gauge individual coil inserted into a cotton pocket and it was a success. two sided innerspring mattresses can if properly made last 15-30 years. price differentials for anything past mid range are usually caused by merchandising and most upgrades are usually cosmetic and not needed

Comment by maurice rothchild — February 7, 2013 @ 10:24 pm

Great information Maurice, thank you very much for sharing your expertise. I am sure many will find this very helpful in their quest for a new mattress.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — February 16, 2013 @ 11:02 am

My husband and I bought a single-sided Simmons from Macys a couple of years before he died in 2010. it was great for about 6 months, then the side my husband sat on at bedtime and in the morning sagged where he sat. Then we noticed sagging where we slept and a hilly thing in the middle. I hate this bed!
I am now temporarily living with my son and his family in my granddaughter’s bedroom. The mattress is a 15-yr. old two-sided Sealy Posturepedic Voyager Plush and I LOVE IT! The only other decent mattress was a 40-year old Sears that I threw out (and shouldn’t have) that was still in excellent condition. I had a clerk at Sears recently tell me that any mattress should be replaced every 2 years or so anyway because of all the dead skin cells and attendant dust mites inside the mattress that thrive on this stuff. EWWW! So much for 5-10 or 15-year warranties! This industry is really fraught with so much bull. We are paying for absolute junk. This is an industry that needs to take responsibility and stop defrauding the public by pedaling dressed up garbage that is doomed to fail because of questionable construction. I am worried that if two-sided mattresses do come back, they will still be inferior to the likes of the old Sealy I am restfully slumbering on now because the major “name brand” manufacturers will find some other way to cheat us blind.

Comment by Karen — April 8, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Slept in my guest room last night on my 10 year old Costco mattress…Finally a good nights sleep. I am on my 5th mattress from trying to replace a really great 13 year old Kings Down mattress that I thought I should replace…WOW…What a mistake..I started with a Spring Aire and then went to Simmons , Beauty Rest Black and then a Shiftman…Couldn’t move in the Spring Aire, The Beauytrest broke down immediately..then went to a two sided Shiftman which I thought we could turn..What a joke…You need at least six people to turn the darn thing…All had immediate body impressions on the side and the big hump in the middle which this industry is saying is acceptable…NOT A CHANCE…
This is the worst market for the consumer out there…This industry should be investigated!!! This has been more stressful than buying a car…and I havent had a good night sleep in over a year and a half…I also dont know what we are going to do because a really great bed just doesn’t seem to be out there…And it doesn’t matter what you pay…I started at $2000 and went as high as $4500…NO DIFFERENCE…maybe the more expensive one was worse…
HELP…IS their any real solution out there beside sleeping in the GUEST room??????
June, July, 2013

Comment by june zegel — July 29, 2013 @ 7:25 am

Wow, I read all these comments Nd they all say the same thing I have. The industry is cheating all of us and what’s worse is we are letting them get away with doing so. Why are we not all together in a class action law suit. I purchased a Sealy firm plush top mattress les then two years ago and have been in pain ever since. The sagging was so bad I had to actually pull on the top sheet in the morning to help hoist myself out of bed due to the pain I could not move on my own. I weigh only 130 pounds. My husband weighs just 158 lbs. Two weeks ago I purchased a Simmons BeUty Rest Kimble Plush mattress. I was told the top padding was latex and gel foam. we had two good night sleep by the 3rd day the bed was sagging on both sides. The store sent a tech and he measured the sags to be 1 1/2 and 1 3/4 inches deep.This happened in three days. Now I have to go back to the retailer and they will aid me to reselect another bed. tonight I read the attached label on the mattress and it says the top of the mattress is made of polyurethane, rayon, cotton, and polyester. It was sold to us as being latex and gel foam. polyurethane foam is known in the mattress industry as garbage foam. I am furious and am going to tell them I want a refund and if they don’t comply I will file a complaint in small claims court. I have had it with the wide spread notion in the industry that they don’t have to refund our money. I have been scammed by them twice in two years. Ny husband has been very ill and has not had a good night sleep since this all started. Iurge all of you to contact the attorney general in your state and tell that person what is going on. We can only Mage a change in numbers so stop being a victim and pick up the phone. I plan to do that first thing tomorrow morning. Are you with me? I apologize for the miss spelled words here my iPad has a very touchy key board.

Comment by Diane — September 1, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

wonderful thread, let’s keep it going. I purchased 2 Stearns and Fosters Ultra Firm Chasity model from Sears; one a Queen, the other a Full for myself. The Queen came out fine, my dad is using that. The Full is horrible, sagging with a very deep crater in the middle and very soft sides. I am going to return the Full one which I found only has 532 coils; the Queen has 651 coils (they advertise that as the 651 X2 as the coil has an inner spring as well but it’s quite useless). I have a 20 year old Simmons double sided Twin in the guest room that is the best bed I have ever experience.

You can find a double sided bed from a big manufacturer here:
Serta hotel series double sided

not sure if this will be as good as teh old school ones but you may want to try it.

Comment by RonC — September 21, 2013 @ 3:05 am

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. We just sat on the Stears & Foster at Sears pillowtop at $1700 for one sided–it can’t compare to my old two sides mattress. I’m 65 and my back is bothering me from our $1000 Beautyrest one sided after 4 years. Very upset with the mattress companies. Do hope I can find one in our part of the country–Denver, CO. Thank you all.

Comment by Julie Mann — October 5, 2013 @ 4:05 pm

I am so happy to hear the 2 sided choice is coming back. 3 1/2 yrs ago I thought I was buying the best….Trump Hotel sets Serta I think…..1 queen and 1 full. Trouble started with the uncrushable sides sagging…then the body indentions. Don’t bother with warranties….you don’t get anywhere. I also have 2 sided twin beds that are almost 14 yrs old and I’ve been flipping and turning them all these years for even wear….they are like new. Have to start looking for those 2 sided ones…I heard January is the time to buy beds and linens.

Comment by KarenB — October 14, 2013 @ 11:23 pm

It doesn’t matter if there are companies that make 2 sided mattresses if they are of the same construction inside as the one siders–and I believe they are. They will be unsleepable. And have you checked out todays car seats from brands like Toyota and Acura? Rock hard and will send you to the chiropractors office. Won’t be long before we’re all zombies, in pain, and broke…

Comment by Ted — November 5, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

Campbell Mattress Company has handcrafted two-sided mattresses for over 80 years and will continue to do so. We agree with many of the comments regarding increased durability and comfort that only a two-sided mattress can provide. Our thanks to STL Beds!

Comment by Matthew — December 7, 2013 @ 11:48 pm

Can I get a double sided mattress for TWIN XL? who sells them?

Comment by Oilseed — January 23, 2014 @ 11:44 pm

Oilseed, Right here. Our vendors King Koil, Symbol Mattress, Corsicana, and Campbell Mattress all offer Twin Extra Long two sided or double sided mattresses. Nearly every model can be special ordered in Twin EL for just a little bit more cost than a twin. Feel free to contact us.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — January 25, 2014 @ 7:00 am

Hi Doug,

I am so glad I found your company. Before I found this website I bought a Sealy Posterpedic mattress not realizing that the box springs was built in and it could not be flipped. I paid a pretty penny for it and within 1 year it caved in the middle and I had to throw it away. Now I won’t even consider buying top brand mattresses because you are wasting your money.

Please don’t ever stop selling these wonderful flip over mattress.

Marla :)

Comment by Marla Almaraz — March 10, 2014 @ 7:28 pm

Marla, While I believe 2 sided beds are better than 1 they still are not the quality of the ones we were selling 20 or 30 years ago. Today’s versions are lighter, include less steel, and high quality foam. This is why most double sided mattresses today still pail in comparison and will be lucky to last 7-8 years. While some people believe that those are good numbers we only need to remember the typical 2 sided bed used to last 10-12.
Marla I am not sure where that information came from that Sealy Posterpedic mattress has their box springs built in?
I do not sell Sealy but to my knowledge it sounds like someone provided you with incorrect information. Thanks for commenting
Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — March 11, 2014 @ 8:17 am

Hi Doug,

Yes mattress are not made like they once were. I had a Sealy that lasted 25 years and I thought that I was going to buy one of the same. But I bought my newest Sealy Posterpedic Mattress and the box springs WAS built in. I could not flip it and I did not realize this until I got home with it. So I spent over $2,000.00 for a top brand mattress which caved in the middle and lasted about 1 year. So the way I look at it, I would rather spend $499..00 on a cheap mattress that at least will last 5 plus years, than waste my hard earned money on top brands that can not be flipped and lasts less than a cheap one.

Marla

Comment by Marla Almaraz — March 11, 2014 @ 8:33 am

I will say that I think that ending this article on an upside was certainly manufactured out of thin air. The rest of the article was deep down side.

Comment by OwlJulie — August 1, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

I have come to the sobering conclusion that there are no good beds available anymore, at least not in the USA, because of … a fire retardant law. So now 100% of Americans are sleeping in pain every night on their 600-2,000$ mattresses. Or should I call them, ‘beds’. A long, long time ago, a bed was a bed; so you could call it that. Now all we have are these foam piles that sink. What I find upsetting also is that mattresses are formulated for equal distribution of weight. That doesnt even begin to make sense. Everyone knows that unless you are a 10 year old child, with the light weight of a child, most of your body weight will be carried from your shoulders to your hips… and then again, most of your body weight will be carried at your hips. Since that is the case, why the ‘equal distribution’ configuration? The coils should be higher gauge and the foam much more dense at the middle of the bed where the butt goes. That is where the indentations happen, right?
There is another industry that makes products to fit the weight distribution and pressure of the body- the athletic shoe industry. They have already figured out which parts of the foot require more stability, more cushioning, more density, etc. and have sued that knowledge in order to create shoes that support the foot, the entire body. Why cant we become intelligent and realize that there will be twice as much weight carried by the middle third of the bed than at the legs and head portions of the bed? No, I guess we will have to leave that luxury to the future generations; and at the rate we’re going, it will be something like 1,000 years from now.

Comment by OwlJulie — August 1, 2014 @ 2:41 pm

OwlJulie, all I can say is you hit the nail on the head. Thank you for your common sense evaluation of my industry. Doug

Comment by Douglas Belleville — August 2, 2014 @ 7:49 am

I have always loved my Beautyrest twin-bed, coil spring, mattresses with the built-in handles to turn the mattress over. It is frustrating for me not to be able to find a similar mattress, but I won’t give up. I’m relieved to find a site like yours that offers some hope, and will read it in more detail shortly. Thank you for being there!

Comment by Frances Campbell — November 16, 2014 @ 10:40 pm