Can I Recycle My Hardside Waterbed?

Waterbed owners if you have asked the question Can I Recycle My Hardside Waterbed?We have some great news – there is an answer; something we can do to save the environment and salvage that old wood framed waterbed and stop it from ending up in a local landfill.

Can I Recycle My Hardside Waterbed?

Recycle Your Bed With A Waterbed Insert. Click Photo To See Selection.

Before you throw away that old mattress bladder and the waterbed headboard, frame, and drawer pedestal put the lid back on the trashcan and walk inside? Why you say? Salvage that old waterbed and give it a new life with a regular coil spring mattress.

Can I Recycle My Hardside Waterbed?

Previously a person’s only option was to put in a new free flow or baffled bladder and fill it with water. Nowadays there are numerous choices of conventional innerspring mattresses that are custom sized to fit a hardside waterbed frame so it won’t have to be trashed. There are several options such as memory foam, latex, and air mattresses all of which can be specially designed to fit the California King, Queen, and Super Single waterbed.

People who choose the environmentally friendly recycling method for the hardside waterbed would only need to dispose of the heater and bladder, while keeping the protective liner, headboard, water bed frame, and drawer pedestal. You most likely would be able to continue using the water bed sheets, comforter and mattress pad since the mattress size wouldn’t be changing, making recycling through reuse is a environmentally sound and smart idea.

Most companies can build a replacement innerspring mattress that will properly fit within a wood waterbed frame you currently own. Some stores will stock them so you may not have to wait, so be sure to check with your local mattress or waterbed dealer for availability.

Available Sizes For Waterbed Replacement Coil Spring Mattresses

Sizes of custom fit mattresses to go inside these wood frame waterbeds best are:
California King that measures 70 x 82
California Queen 58 x 82
Super Single 46 x 82

These are custom and are commonly the sizes for a waterbed mattress insert. The custom size makes for a custom fit that allows a person to be able to do the simple things like get their hand between the frame and the mattress to make the bed. The extra inch all the way around leaves just enough space to tuck in mattress pads, waterbed sheets, and comforters for the people who actually make their beds before leaving for work.

Using a boxspring is not necessary with a waterbed insert the mattress fills out the frame properly and usually will not stick up in front of the headboard enough to block it. Not only that but waterbed insert or drop in mattresses are easier to get in and out of and do not have to be flipped, only rotated regularly end to end. Be sure to follow your mattress instructions.

Often the question is asked if regular king or queen spring mattresses fit a waterbed frame? No and Yes. The king size conventional mattresses are too big to fit. These regular king size mattresses measure 76 X 80. Conventional queen mattresses will fit but not very well they measure 60 x 80 leaving a 4 inch space on the end and no room to make up the bed along the sides.

A specially sized mattress to fit down inside the waterbed frame is a great idea and replaces the conventional water filled mattress and saves the environment, so why not look at the idea of recycling you’re old flotation waterbed? It will eliminate the need to buy a new headboard and frame and all the new bed linens that go along with a different bed. This new alternative will save you hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars and is a clear-cut advantage to throwing them away.

Still not convinced? Here are 3 ways to use the old water bed head board.

Construction timber alone I read makes up something like 17 percent of the ecological footprint. I would be curious to know how much of a foot print wood furniture such as sofas chairs all the different types of tables and even the waterbeds you mentioned have on landfills? Does the furniture industry have a program that reclaims these wood materials in place?

Comment by Tabby — February 7, 2008 @ 9:13 am

Not that I am aware of. The furniture industry has never contacted me about being more environmentally friendly. I am not aware of any organizations in the St. Louis Missouri area at this time. I am simply trying to due my part in my little corner of this planet. We are now offering more environmentally friendly mattresses as an alternative choice for folks.

According to Treehugger.com there is a sustainability group attracting large numbers of ground- breaking designers who are not only reclaiming materials baut are actually making furniture out of those recycled materials.

Wood that has been properly cared for, and sometimes even if it hasn’t been will last for many many years. Using wood that is readily available from products that already exist instead of throwing them away is a great alternative. Building of products and making good use of all the wood that’s already out there should be a goal? Many furniture designers have already jumped on board. This reclaimed wood can come from old of all types, housing materials, or anything else that allows for a reincarnation, from wood, scraps etc.

Try to buy for furniture stars with solid construction and can be fixed. If it is strong or can be repaired, it will lessen the possibility of ending up in the landfill, not only that it would easily save us all big money over the long haul, even if it were at the outset more expensive.

When you do decide part with your belongings, think about place like local Charities, Churches, Craigslist, Freecycle, or even eBay, and find it a new home.

Comment by Doug — February 7, 2008 @ 9:55 am

If you are looking to get rid of your Woodframe waterbed and are not wanting it to end up in your local landfill. Consider taking a photo of the bed and placing a free ad on Craigslist.org

We are in the waterbed industry and you would be surprised by how many phone calls we receive from people looking to buy a used woodframe waterbed.

Comment by Irispixie — December 31, 2008 @ 2:48 pm

Not only that but you might make a few bucks to put towards your new bed. Be sure that when you post to Craig’s List that you try to focus the ad in your area. Example St. Louis Craig’s List. People generally don’t want to travel more than 20 miles or so. Backpage.com is another place people may want to recycle their waterbeds through reuse. One last suggestion Free Cycle is gaining popularity.

Comment by Doug — December 31, 2008 @ 3:01 pm

I am one of those people looking to buy a hardside waterbed super single, mine got distroyed in a house fire right now i am sleepig on a regular mattress and i hate it, miss the waterbed so much

Comment by Laura — February 2, 2009 @ 1:02 am

Well, as a store that sells new waterbeds I hope you will contact us and look at the different waterbeds we have available.

If you decide to take the green method of owning a waterbed their are plenty of sources as you can see to find them, and keep us in mind if the recycled waterbed you get needs any new waterbed parts or accessories.

Comment by Doug — February 2, 2009 @ 8:21 am

I have a kingsize mirrored canapy waterbed frame and headboard. I do not have a mattress, liner or heater. I also do not have any of the hardware to put it together, but if anyone is interested, please contact me.

Comment by Julie — May 18, 2009 @ 2:35 pm

please let me know if you still have this canopy bed,where is it located,and how much ae you asking

Comment by m savola — September 14, 2009 @ 7:22 pm

Anyone looking to purchase a kingsize mirrored canopy waterbed in the chicagoland area? Matching dressers, too.

Comment by Kathleen A Rzepka — February 14, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

We had a waterbed frame about 5X6 foot of very thick wood in our attic not being needed anymore. We put it to good use as a box for a small garden. Looks great and is a good “green” use for something no longer needed.

Comment by Alice Bonds — July 1, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

I have a king canopy mirrored waterbed, i would like to redesign it and make it more modern, does anyone have any ideals or pictures of what they have done, the bed is from the 80 and the mirrors are on the canopy part, it has a large mirrow on the head board with a shelf on each side
please email any ideals bstbr0814@aol.com

Comment by ruth — October 25, 2011 @ 8:30 pm

i have the same situation with the same product, i would love to update it rather than get rid of it. also, i am not so into the mirrors on the canopy as i was in my 20’s lol
any suggestions?

Comment by jamie — February 23, 2013 @ 12:57 am

I have a complete queen size hard-sided waterbed that I would love to get out of my garage.

Comment by Carol — September 6, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

I have a king size soft waterbed that we no longer need. In addition we have two large cedar drawers underneath both sides of the bed to go with it. We are in the west county area of St. Louis.

Comment by TScherping — September 20, 2013 @ 10:49 am

I have a 25 year old four post waterbed. The support for the bed is nothing more than ply wood cut into crosses and then a skirt to hide it, I am in the process of deciding to get another water mattress or a regular mattress. But my main concern is the support, should I stay with what I have, or is there something better I can use?

Comment by pamela — February 22, 2014 @ 7:08 pm

Pamela, while the construction of your waterbed underside is only plywood it includes proven solid and simple engineering that is built to last for years when assembled correctly. As for which to choose, that is more a personal choice of whether you want to continue the advantages of a waterbed. Temperature control, pressure relief and comfort are why people choose to keep them. Better supporting mattresses are available and are cheaper than regular mattresses apples to apples. The weight that these beds can hold is incredible and can even be versatile enough to utilize a conventional mattress called a waterbed insert if you want to change out to a regular mattress but don’t want to do away with a frame, headboard, and drawer pedestal.

Comment by Douglas Belleville — February 24, 2014 @ 7:30 am